Best $100~$200 dollar earphones
Jul 31, 2009 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

A_Dying_Wren

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. I thought I had settled on the very decent Atrios m5, but looking around the forum and at various prices of earphones, I don't know if they really are the best value for money or the best full stop.

The earphones I'm considering are:

Sleek SA6 - $199
Future Sonics Atrios - $180ish (shipping inc)
Head Direct RE0 - $99 + shipping (fantastic deal IMO)
JVC FX500 - $129 + 9

I'm just not sure if the SA6 is a full 100 dollars better than the RE0. Should I even consider the Atrios since the better SA6 is only $20 dollars more? I do want the best sound quality but not if it entails spending on something beyond sensible value-for-money. They all seem to be well-balanced earphones with pretty decent lows, mids and highs.

I'm also not sure about the really bassy atrios. My CX300s are pretty overwhelming and messy un-EQ'd.

I'll be popping over to the Jaben store tomorrow to try earphones. I believe they only have the Atrios. Is there anything I should look out for to help me choose the right earphone better (even if not from Jaben)?

Thanks a lot

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 19
I read the review page of the RE0s and I can say I'm impressed by the perceived performance that you get out of these. Um... look into those and I dont' know if you have a portable amp but if you do (iBasso T4 is great) the PFE 112s are amazing.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 19
I was curious about this same question a little while ago (except considering Phonaks instead of the atrios). I think the bad rap that the RE0s get, especially from people who haven't tried them, is totally unwarranted. Since when to head-fiers believe amazon reviews, anyway?

As for your question, all of these are good choices and it really depends on your sound signature preference.

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 19
Thanks for the replies. I went by Jaben to have a listen to what was in store. Suffice to say, I can scratch out the Atrios and the sleeks will likely be too expensive.

What I did like was the Denon C751s amped with a govibe derringer. Sounded very clear with a wholly different sound signature from what I'm used to with my CX300s. Which is a problem since anything without strong bass is strange to me. Can anyone recommend an alternative to the c751 with a similar signature but a stronger bass?

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies. I went by Jaben to have a listen to what was in store. Suffice to say, I can scratch out the Atrios and the sleeks will likely be too expensive.

What I did like was the Denon C751s amped with a govibe derringer. Sounded very clear with a wholly different sound signature from what I'm used to with my CX300s. Which is a problem since anything without strong bass is strange to me. Can anyone recommend an alternative to the c751 with a similar signature but a stronger bass?

have you tried the denon c710?

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 19
Budget no more than 300 SGD which the denon's + the derringer conveniently fall under (i.e. $299). Dunno if it really is a 300 dollar upgrade to my cx300s. Still debating that with myself.

I suppose I wouldn't mind buying second hand so long as its pretty good condition and somewhat new.

Don't think Jaben had the c710s. I'll check again sometime. I would very much rather being able to hear them beforehand. Some earphones sound truly shockingly bad to me even if popular here (cue atrios)

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 19
i'm not sure if you should get the govibe amp over spending the full amount on better iems. There was a thread on component significance and i think most people rated recording and headphones ahead of daps and amps.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 19
The govibe amps may not be the best but the Denon's seriously don't sound anywhere as nice without them. I suppose other amps would help too like the ibasso's if jaben stocks them. I've read somewhere that the denons are kind of picky with amps.

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 19
The C710s are not available in Singapore yet. OP, if you're curious about the T4, you can go to Stereo Electronics to test it out. Also, the Jaben forums are a pretty good place to pick stuff up secondhand here in SG.

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The govibe amps may not be the best but the Denon's seriously don't sound anywhere as nice without them. I suppose other amps would help too like the ibasso's if jaben stocks them. I've read somewhere that the denons are kind of picky with amps.

uh dude, no point getting an amp just to compensate for the weakness of an iem, not when the iem in question is not exactly high-end. Hope you don't think an amp is some sort of magic device to boost the performance of an IEM. That's not true
wink.gif

You're much better off just getting better IEMs without a doubt. Not to mention, less hassle.

I think you might be able to score a 2nd hand um2/sf5 with that budget. Have you heard them yet?

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #12 of 19
Well, I just had the impression that amps would bring out the bass and make the whole set up sound much stronger and fuller. I know it's not going to solve everything.

With that budget and buying second hand, I can easy score the SuperFi 5 Pros (the EB were awful) and the Sleeks SA6 well within budget. In fact, if I push it a bit, I can get the Triple Fi 10 and the sennheiser IE8. Time to go upmarket I guess.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 19
I haven't heard the RE0's so I'll spare you an uninformed opinion but the $139 PFEs were surprisingly good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back