Best ~£150 setup including speakers, DAC & amp?
Apr 3, 2012 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BenAdamson

100+ Head-Fier

Hi, I'd like to put together a speaker system for my laptop (Thinkpad Edge E520 with Conexant 20671 audio). Ideally, I'd like to spend around £150, but I am able to slightly add to this if it would result in a significant quality jump. My budget includes amp, speakers and a DAC. I've researched a few speakers; powered (audioengine A2, m-audio studiophile av40) and non-powered (wharfedale diamond 9.1, q acoustics 2010i).

I realise that to get the best out of my speakers, I need to buy an external DAC (USB?), but don't really know anything about which products are good at my price range. It seems that something like the Nuforce Icon-2 would be perfect for my needs, as it has a USB DAC, amplifier, connections for speakers and headphones, and inputs for my laptop, xbox and sansa clip+. However, it is ~£310, way over my budget. The Lepai Tripath TA2020 seems like a pretty good amp, and at only £20 is very cheap. However, I would still need a DAC.

Is there any chance of me getting a decent audio setup within my small budget? I would like it to be upgradeable in the future if possible, however this isn't my main priority.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 4
That's a bit outside my budget, and I'm not sure if the Prodigy Cube is even available in the UK. From reading a couple of reviews, the M-Audio Av40 are actually better speakers. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 4
For your budget, mate....I'd suggest don't bother with anything. 150 quid can't get you anywhere, to be honest.

If you want all of the above stuff in the budget, you're only going to spread your budget too thin. At least, that's my view.

If you're adept at the technicalities, why not design and make your own kit? You can always start with the DAC side of things (and borrow, beg or get second hand amps/preamps and speakers to have a go at it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back