Besides longevity, will the soft-flex sleeves for the E2C be better than the foamies?
May 27, 2005 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I for the E2C's, yesterday. I've ben trying out all the different gaskets and it's been *fun* trying to make something work. Some conclsuions I've drawn are;

(1) The regular flex sleeves are very uncomfortable and offer little isolation, plus are difficult to find a good seal with despite my best efforts. Of course, they will last forever and require no maintenance. Who uses these, anyway?

(2) I found sonic happiness with the medium foamies. They fit well and offer a lot of isolation, obviously the match I'd like to keep - but, how long will the foam last? I was told you can wash it and re-use a few times after they get grungy. Yuck.

(3) The soft flex sleeves look to be the answer. I checked Shure Canada and they are out of stock - these are very popular. For those of you who have used both the soft flex sleeves and the foamies, what are the pros/cons of each?

Thanks

May 28, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 8
I find the foamies more comfortable and more isolating than the soft sleeves because the soft sleeves cause a little pressure build up.
As for the sound, foamies win. The highs are noticeably cleaner. Of course, the foamies eventually degrade and must be tossed out.

May 28, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 8
I don't find a significant difference in sound (especially in the environments in which I use them...) and the ultraflex definitely hold-up better than the foamies and are more comfortable to me. However, they do seem to have more pressure buildup as skitlets stated.

edit: Oh and the ultraflex are quicker and easier to put in / take out.

May 28, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 8
I like the soft sleeves myself, then the clear OEM tips. Im in the minority, prefering the foamies last. I used to like the foamies, but Im listening to my e2cs for longer and longer lengths of time now, and any session over 1.5 hours and they make my ears itchy.

Garrett

May 28, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 8
The foamies seem easy to work with, just that they need replacement on a regular basis. How many times can these be washed and re-used?

May 28, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

The foamies seem easy to work with, just that they need replacement on a regular basis. How many times can these be washed and re-used?

That's really the only major con with the foamies when you compare them to the others. They can be washed and re-used to the extent that one pair could probably last you for a good three months depending on your listening habits and general care of them. However, they're just not the same as when they are brand new; little pieces of the foam can break off, there is often dirt that cannot be removed, and they sometimes begin to feel softer. Both the ultrasofts and the triple flanges are definitely good compromises. I haven't found that I have to sacrifice very much with either of them, and they make the phones much easier each time you put them in your ear.

May 28, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #7 of 8
the soft flex sleeves don't really work for me.. they are really comfortable.. but they have a tendancy to slip really fast out of my ears.(which is very annoying)

where the normal flex sleeves seem to have better grip in my ears..

May 28, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Ah.......That's the beauty of the choice Shure gives us. Everyone is different. Some people even wear different sized gaskets in each ear.

For about $20 CDN, I can get 5 pairs of mediums and they should last me a year. Compare that to a 6-pack set of ER-4P's filters that I would run through in less than six months, plus the ongoing issue of the cracked transducer.

The E2C's are one of the wisest choices I've ever made in a headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back