Besides Etys, what are good headphones for traveling?
Apr 28, 2003 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Budrew

Head-Fier
I've tried the Etys, but it just didn't work for me. The in the ears thing always felt weird and the seal was difficult to get and without it the sound isn't very good. What other quality headphones are good for traveling? Smaller is better, but for the sake of high-fidelity I'll deal with larger models. Does anyone travel with their really nice headphones, like the HD600s? Thanks!

Apr 28, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Right now I use my HD600 for everything, I also have a meta 42 which is really awesome since its portable. I have Equinox cables on the way, but my next investment is actually to buy some Etys 4p for running on the track and working out. I have heard from some post that people like eggos for on the good too, you can hear and still have some isolation with it.

Hope you find something you enjoy.

Apr 28, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 8
I like the Ety's myself, however, I can see where they are not for everyone. I will not recommend a particular headphone that I have not heard myself. I have the HD-600s but they don't leave the house very often. They do not block out the ambient noise and others would be disturbed. I would recommend that you look at the closed type. These will block some of the ambient noise and those sitting near you will not be forced to listen to your music. A good place to look is Headroom. They have a wide selection from which you can make a choice. You can find their site here:

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php

If at all possible audition before you buy.

Apr 28, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 8
When you say travelling, do you mean for walking, sitting in a plane/train, having on the go, or a combination of all of them?

I've got a couple alternatives -- the senn mx500 earbuds are my ultra-portables... they fit anywhere and go with me everywhere. pop 'em in, pop 'em out, and there ya go. very little isolation, however.

The ksc-35 and ksc-50 are also options that are ultra portable and would fit in my pocket. they are a little less convenient in that they are harder to just pop on and off, and i'm also more self-concious when i have them on. for this reason, they usually are relegated to my bedside, but they would make great portables (but offer little to no isolation).

I've been considering picking up a pair of Sony EX70 for that convenient earbud-style but with a degree of isolation. Opinions vary on sound likeability, but if you are at all curious I'd encourage at least a test-listen. If you don't want them I'll take them off your hands
smily_headphones1.gif

The koss portapros are my second in travel command, and they give me a little extra when i need it over my mx500's. they are slightly less portable, due to size. but i like wearing them around my neck. again, these offer very little isolation.

If I'm on an airplane or someplace noisy like that, I used to bring my HD280 because they block everything out (and I'd be sitting down rather inconspicously). The Senn HD280 or Sony MDR-V6 both isolate very well, and they both fold up so they'll fit in a travel bag or backpack. These are next in my portable chain -- for when I want that extra bit of fidelity or isolation, but the bulk is difficult to deal with on a daily basis.

Finally there is the W1000, which never really leaves my room.

Apr 28, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 8
I tried a 7506 (V6) on the plane. Suffice it to say that the terrible sounding EX70 (which I brought as a backup not expecting to use) were in my ears for 3 hours of the 5 hour flight, and all the way back. Reasons? Comfort, sound fatigue, and less isolation than the EX70.

Apr 29, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 8
One planes and trains, the Senn PX 250 are *excellent* -- the first "noise canceling" headphone that is actually a good set of headphones with NC circuitry, rather than a crappy set. If you don't like the severe isolation of the Etys, check out the PX 250.

Apr 29, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 8
I use the Koss "The Plug" a lot for noisy situations - eg plane, train, bus.

Its cheap and its surely not hi-fi, but on a plane or in a noisy situation, you get as much sound quaity out if it as you would a regular earbud - and you protect your hearing a lot better! Ultra portable and if you lose then you don't even care - they're so cheap....

Apr 29, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 8
The Stax SRM001 MK2 is very small, even with its amp, offers decent isolation from ambient noise, although maybe not up to a plug set and is about the cheapest electrostatic system out ther at about $250.00 delivered directlly from Japan from Audiocubes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back