Berry-Fi!
Oct 1, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #16 of 30
Dang, I was ready to talk about black current berries lol.

I have the blackberry curve 8520 for my first blackberry, and I love it. The touchpad is great. Wifi runs fast, and I have a lot of applications on it.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #17 of 30
I too, have a "blacked out" Curve 8900. I'm running a beta version of the 5.0 OS and although a little buggy, it's great. SMS is finally threaded. Anyways, I use it as my dedicated portable audio source paired with my ADDIEM. SQ isn't the best, but it gets the job done.

For those looking to upgrade or purchase a new BB soon, I'd say hold out a little while longer as new BB models are launching in the next 3-8 weeks. You can look up the Onyx (Bold 2), Odin (Storm 2) and Gemini (another version of the Curve, already out in the US) for an insight of what's coming up.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wifi on the 8900 works really well. I love the unlimited wifi (UMA) calling you can add to your plan with Tmobile. Anywhere you have wifi you can make free voice calls, even if you have zero carrier reception!

By the way, you really should get a data plan if you go with a BlackBerry. Although you're connected to wifi, many applications will not work. No email, messenger, etc.. If you're just going to use the phone to make calls then you don't need a data plan, but then why do you need a BlackBerry?
smily_headphones1.gif

I must say, UMA is what gives this phone a huge advantage over most. Kind of a shame that it's not 3G for those times at the cottage or on the road, but EDGE isn't terrible.

No modifications to mine and not planning any-- any issues I have with my phone, I get a new 8900 or phone of equal value from work. Although for basic parts, I wouldn't mind hunting down a more solid backing as I find mine doesn't sit still too well.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wifi on the 8900 works really well. I love the unlimited wifi (UMA) calling you can add to your plan with Tmobile. Anywhere you have wifi you can make free voice calls, even if you have zero carrier reception!

By the way, you really should get a data plan if you go with a BlackBerry. Although you're connected to wifi, many applications will not work. No email, messenger, etc.. If you're just going to use the phone to make calls then you don't need a data plan, but then why do you need a BlackBerry?
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait, so I can't check my own email or use AIM or Yahoo if I don't have a data plan???

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #22 of 30
I understand where you're coming from, but the problem is that (I believe, anyways) RIM designed their apps to be used over cellular network as priority. I tried using my old 8820 (without the SIM card) and connect to MSN with just WiFi with no luck. It tells me that my phone has no "data service".

It's not like the iPhone where you can just leech off everything with just the WiFi.
frown.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, so I can't check my own email or use AIM or Yahoo if I don't have a data plan???

You can check from your browser but I'm not sure if AIM and Yahoo will work over wifi with no BIS plan. Check out crackberry.com forums for a lot of info.

Oct 3, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #24 of 30
There seems to be a lot of confusion, so I read up on it and this is what I can gather:

-When one has a data plan, the applications are unlocked, and they are free to use the plan or WIFI.

-When one does not have a data plan, the apps are locked, though wifi will function, without the apps, it is unusable.

Many seem to comment that WIFI browsing works great, not realizing the question is for those without a dataplan, but they answer anyhow, saying how great wifi works on the BB, but not really stressing they have a data plan which enables the apps.

I might as well just find an older Nokia e70, which has unrestricted wifi, and is cheap on the used and NOS market. Not as hot as a BB, but smaller and works for browsing and email, which is basically the only need I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_w38...eature=related

I could also look for an e75...still I know they aren't the same thing, but I don't particularly like restrictions. I'll look into these models more and see the catches.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #28 of 30
I don't have a data plan on my Pearl(not my main work phone), and I can use the browser w/ wifi, use the Gmail app, and the Yahoo app as well.

All you have to do is set it to Wifi has precedence over the Network while doing anything email/internet related.

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #29 of 30
This is getting strange. I really want the BB Bold 9000, but I'm reading it both ways and most of the people who are saying it works on WIFI do havea data plan. I'm going to look more into this whole thing and see, but it's getting confusing and the problem is that I already have a data plan, which is what I use at home because we have full wireless nationwide. I can simply take that card out and use it in a portable radio device for USB and use some adapters to convert it over.

Now that I found out about the e71, the choice is a bit tougher and their used prices here are competitive, with the edge going to the e71. And what the hell is the 2.5mm headphone jack about?

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #30 of 30
Figured I should bring back this thread rather than making a new one for the new Torch 9800. I know this just came out in the USA last week (we don't have it in Canada yet) and with my 8900 have a few more problems popping up, I'm very tempted to swap it through work.

From Crackberry's in depth review, it seems like a large improvement to the OS and web browser, although their tests still showed that it fell short to the iPhone 4 and Motorola EVO (or whatever it's called). 

Crackberry Torch 9800 Full Review

Have any Americans had a chance to pick one up and fiddle around with it? If so, how are the keyboards (digital and physical) and browser for extended use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back