Beresford Mark 4 DAC/headphone amp
Apr 2, 2009 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

freakydrew

500+ Head-Fier
for a total noob, is this a decent starter amp?
I am getting Senns 555, and ATH-AD700's, both I am told do not need amplification, but this is for sale for $80 CDN....
should I pay or walk away?

thanks
dt880smile.png

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 13
I think that saving up for something better might be wiser. Wait till you have $150-200 to spend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do I take that to mean to stay away?
smily_headphones1.gif

The issue here was very shady practice by the designer on Head-fi which is probably why many people here won't support Beresford products.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 13
If you are just interested in the sound above all else the Beresford units are fantastic value for money, if you can stretch to £180 for the 7520 then go for it. I have just replaced the opamps (which are socketed for easy swapping) with the THS4032CD's from Texas Instruments and the result is awesome.

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 13
I own a MK6 and the sound is good.
I woldn't say the headphone amp is the best part of the object, still you can get a good sound out of it.
If you use it even for other purposes that price is good, if you use it only for headphones I guess you could get something smaller and possibly better sounding for a similar price.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 13
What is your source? For $80CDN, the Beresford is a good deal if you are plugging straight into something like a soundcard, as you get the benefit of a pretty decent DAC along with an amp. This gives you the option of upgrading to a dedicated amp later, while still retaining the benefits of the DAC.

I think the Beresford units provide great value as starter units, but I would only buy used. I purchased my Beresford Mk3 new before the Head-Fi shenanigans, but will never purchase from him again because of his dishonest business practices.

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #12 of 13
What dishonest practices were those?

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by datura647 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What dishonest practices were those?

Multiple account product shilling over a prolonged period of time and associated abuse towards members with a suspicious or accusatory tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back