Beresford Bushmaster- slight issue
Feb 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

eskimo

100+ Head-Fier
I'm having a slight issue with my DAC. At low volumes i don't get both channels, the left channel slowly improves till the volume knob is turned enough, often about 75*, which then is too loud for listening for a long time. The same applies with two different sources, both which can't be adjusted. I've tried three different headphones, them all being of low impedance/ portables. With video it's fine, but audio it's way too loud. 

I'm not new to this stuff, but i'm certainly not very knowledgeable of audio equipment. 

The setup is a Sony Blu-ray player [cds, dvds] (quite please), Nikkai coaxial lead, Bushmaster, DT990 32ohm Premium.

I've tried other headphones and optical from my xbox. If i am to pull the cable out of the headphone slot very slightly i get even channels at low volumes. 

But i will say this DAC is awesome. Night and day difference between this and my rPAC. The bass is the most noticeable, very clean and precise, if not slightly excessive. But i can't give it a full listening because of the volume issue i'm having 
size]
  (that is the best sad face HF has)

Thanks in advance.

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 17
This is not entirely uncommon with high current output stages ( Op-amps ) in DAC or amp units.  For example even the O2 amp has the low level channel imbalance with the default components.

I see no reason why you could not turn up the DAC volume to 75% and use the volume control on the Blu-ray to get the precise volume you want.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 17
That sucks to hear, any other ideas?

There is no volume control from the source. The remote just controls the volume when used with Bravia Sync for various applications which only work with Sony. There are no other settings with the software either, firmware is up to date too.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 17
Sounds most like a fault in the headphone socket, given you get level channels if you pull the hp plug slightly.

Otherwise - seems the DAC itself is fine - there's a fault in your amp stage or pot.

Assuming you don't have or don't want to connect a separate head-amp - this would bypass the DAC's hp stage - why not contact Stanley Beresford for advice and/or repair?

I agree - this is a terrific-sounding DAC.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 17
Are you using a 1/4 inch adapter?  The TRS end of the headphone may not have the correct spacing for the jack and the one of the connections may not be adequate.  If you are not using an adapter try using one and see if that fixes the issue.  As AiDee mentions if you get the signal back when you pull out the connector slightly this is probably where the trouble lies.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 17
Yeah i'm using a adapter, all my phones are 3.5mm. I tried a few adapters but all the same result. Just to be clear, playing about with the connections never gives the intended sound, it just balances it better and in no way would it be possible to leave it like that. 

I think your original post is probably the correct answer here.

I'll contact Beresford and see what he says.

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 17
I emailed Beresford and they said they'd re-calibrate the headphone output to suit my low impendance phones. I sent it off yesterday, so i'll report back on the outcome when i get to have another play with it. 

He said:

[size=large]you can get a[/size][size=large]n imbalance in the current delivery at low volume (which equals low drive of the audio stage), and low impedance cans do tend to show that up a lot more. But it is possible to reduce that imbalance to a minimum.[/size]

So you were right with your original post NA Blur 
size]

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 17
Sorryto go a bit off topic here, but has anyone tried using Mark Grant Cable power supply upgrade with the Beresford Bushmaster?

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Sorryto go a bit off topic here, but has anyone tried using Mark Grant Cable power supply upgrade with the Beresford Bushmaster?

Try the review thread, there's one on this page somewhere. Looking at the price, personally i wouldn't  as you could put that towards a bigger more significant purchase imo. But each to their own.

Stan received the DAC on Monday, i'm listening to it now. Yeah he calibrated it and sent it back the same day, awesome! And the issue is now fixed for low listening levels. While the unbalancing is still there at the lowest volume, i'd never even listen to the DAC at that level because you'd not get any detail. How low, i'm talking low enough that everyone would say it's too low. So yeah all good!

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 17
Glad to hear you got this solved. Yes indeed, I've read a lot of positive reports of Stan's support.

Chris J, you're thinking of getting one?

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #12 of 17
Glad to hear you got this solved. Yes indeed, I've read a lot of positive reports of Stan's support.

Chris J, you're thinking of getting one?

Yes, as soon as I finish selling some audio stuff I no longer use: a CD player, a couple of headphones, some audiophile records plus some photo gear.

Try the review thread, there's one on this page somewhere. Looking at the price, personally i wouldn't  as you could put that towards a bigger more significant purchase imo. But each to their own.

Sometimes the difference between a great product and a really great product is the power supply implementation.
This is what I have found in my experience.
Example: the Moon 110LP vs the 310LP.

Switchmode Power Supplies are notorious for conducting and radiating a fair amount of noise.
The only real way to settle this is to try it and see.

Edit:
At 135.00 Euros, admittedly, the Mark Grant Linear Power Supply is not cheap.
The real question is, for the total cost, how does it compare to an equivalently priced DAC? Or more expensive DAC?

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 17
you are better off going to artofsound forum, that is where Beresford is active in. He is quiet a nice guy, I had BM for one week, it was nice till the DAC chip blow up. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #15 of 17
You sound like you'll appreciate the purchase, so do it!  
size]

Help me out here, man.
I don't really follow the English sense of humour too well............:xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back