Beresford 7520 v. Maverick D1. Suggestion?
Apr 13, 2010 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Slaughter

1000+ Head-Fier
I can get both for the same price used. Any thoughts on the better selection. My gear is in my signature. I am interested in the headphone amp and wondering if anyone has compared the two. If I can eliminate a component from my desk that would be great.

Thanks

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm interested in this too. I just got a used Beresford 7520. But they both have very similar features, both have preamp out, and line out, which is pretty unique among DAC's in this price range.

I like the beresford a lot so far, but I also like tubes...

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 11
But when I remember right the Tube output (D1) is only for the line out and not for the headphone
frown.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 11
rhythmdevils - Can you pick up a D1 and compare it to your 7520 for me
smily_headphones1.gif
How does the headphone amp in the 7520 compare to your SOHA?

Thanks

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 11
It isn't that far behind. The SOHA beats it technically, with better soundstage, dynamics, detail, and a fuller more tube like tone. But the Beresford amp is not bad by any means, it seems very linear in it's response, and seems to be able to drive my 600 ohm k240 sextetts, so that's a good sign! The DAC is fantastic though, smooth but very detailed.

How about you buy a Maverick and send it to me? And if the beresford comes out on top, I'll sell the maverick for you
wink.gif

One plus about the beresford is that the RCA line out does not have variable volume control, only the preamp out. It seems that with the maverick, the volume controls both RCA outputs, which is kind of annoying if you're running it to a headphone amp.

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One plus about the beresford is that the RCA line out does not have variable volume control, only the preamp out. It seems that with the maverick, the volume controls both RCA outputs, which is kind of annoying if you're running it to a headphone amp.

The Maverick has the volume bypass switch on the front that allows it to operate like a standalone DAC instead of a preamp, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back