Beresford 7520 or what DAC as source for K1000?
Mar 22, 2009 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Barry

100+ Head-Fier
Controversy aside, I am thinking about buying a DAC to feed my Cayin HA-1 and AKG K1000 and I was wondering if any of you think that the 7520 was up to the job. Or perhaps you all have suggestions about a better choice that costs about the same or less.

I don't agree with the purveyor's marketing tactics, but I don't have to listen to him. And I don't want to "cut off my nose to spite my face".

Thanks all.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 8
IMO, a headphone like the K1000 should have nothing but top-notch stuff in front of it. Honestly, your headphone collection far outpaces the rest of your stuff. My recommendation is to sell off some headphones, and get a better source and amp.

That said, the cheapest unmodded DAC that I would use with K1000s is probably a Parasound 1100. However, I'd feel much more comfortable with something like a EMM stack in front of K1000s.

Edit: depending on useage, I would also look long and hard at the Pico DAC and Apogee Duet.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 8
Right now in the for sale forum you can pick up a HeadRoom 2006 MicroDac for $200. That would be the route I would take, unless you are willing to spend $400. If so there is an Oritek V4.1 being sold in the for sale forum for $375.

May 14, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, a headphone like the K1000 should have nothing but top-notch stuff in front of it.

Why? Because it costs X amount?

May 14, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, because the K1000 is recognized widely as a very resolving pair of high end cans. Generally it's best to mate highend with highend. Personally, I'd go with an affordable source and upgrade later when a suitable offer comes by.

May 14, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, but because its a highly regarded headphone which unwrap weaknesses in the upstream components. Hence it deserve nothing but the "best" show show what its capable of.

Like any other 'phone you can always drive it with mediocre components, but expect sound to be sub-par.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back