Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison
Dec 9, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #301 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
62ohms isn't high by any means. It's still on the lower end.

what I meant is that, general opinion is that 62ohms is only what the specs say, and that in reality they are like 250ohms or something.

Dec 9, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #302 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what DAC is that??? sounds interesting...

The SE or full Balance TDA1541a DAC is by Thomas (tube-lover) of HK. This is his 4th version although he posted them in the same thread as V3. Price is extremely reasonable consider the parts he uses and the pcb are fully populated and tested. All needed is connect the power connector and some soldering on the transformer.
diyAudio Forums - non-profit ver.3 TDA1541a DAC for limited budget diyers
diyAudio Forums - Tube-lover SE and Full Balance TDA1541a DAC
It took me 6 weeks after payment to get my DAC and 2+ months now I am still waiting for the source selector with USB input. Well, like many others who still missing some bits, I am happy to part my money for the next upgrade that he will be releasing. His is a honest person but not well organise. After enjoying our music thought his DAC, we start to forgive & forget the bad part of him.

Have fun
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #303 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHLim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SE or full Balance TDA1541a DAC is by Thomas (tube-lover) of HK. This is his 4th version although he posted them in the same thread as V3. Price is extremely reasonable consider the parts he uses and the pcb are fully populated and tested. All needed is connect the power connector and some soldering on the transformer.
diyAudio Forums - non-profit ver.3 TDA1541a DAC for limited budget diyers
diyAudio Forums - Tube-lover SE and Full Balance TDA1541a DAC
It took me 6 weeks after payment to get my DAC and 2+ months now I am still waiting for the source selector with USB input. Well, like many others who still missing some bits, I am happy to part my money for the next upgrade that he will be releasing. His is a honest person but not well organise. After enjoying our music thought his DAC, we start to forgive & forget the bad part of him.

Have fun
biggrin.gif

Looks like a very interesting dac. I would love to hear it.

Dec 9, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #304 of 324
Slwiser how would you compare the bereford to the lavry in terms of quality vs. price?

Dec 9, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #305 of 324
I really have never compared them as an A/B type comparison. I have two very different setups and I enjoy my Lavry while listening to my Edition 9 and enjoy my Beresford while listening with my ESW9s at my easy chair powered by my micro-ZOTL. The dac part of the Beresford is very good. I would say neutral. The headphone out is good on the Beresford but I sure can tell that it needs to warm up to be its best. It still lacks the sound of the micro-ZOTL.

The two just can't be compared because of so many preferences that each of us have. I love the CrystalLock of the Lavry with its clarity and detail. The Lavry wide is more like what I get from the Beresford with its 8x upsampling. Those who like the wide on the Lavry would probably think the Beresford is nearer than it would compare otherwise.

The Beresford, for the price, should be purchased simply because it is a great value as it is today as a Mk6/3 version. If you did fine it to not be your cup then you have lost very little and had a great Head-fi experience. Others for sure would probably enjoy picking up a used on for a little discount. It can always go into a secondary setup like I use it. I purchased it just for this setup. The Lavry is a much bigger stretch to do this way.

Beresford ---+++++++++++---200$
Lavry DA10-------------+++++++++++++++---$975
Cambridge 840c---------------------++++++++++---$1500

Just my crude inadequate attempt to graphically compare these very diverse units.

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #307 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really have never compared them as an A/B type comparison. I have two very different setups and I enjoy my Lavry while listening to my Edition 9 and enjoy my Beresford while listening with my ESW9s at my easy chair powered by my micro-ZOTL. The dac part of the Beresford is very good. I would say neutral. The headphone out is good on the Beresford but I sure can tell that it needs to warm up to be its best. It still lacks the sound of the micro-ZOTL.

The two just can't be compared because of so many preferences that each of us have. I love the CrystalLock of the Lavry with its clarity and detail. The Lavry wide is more like what I get from the Beresford with its 8x upsampling. Those who like the wide on the Lavry would probably think the Beresford is nearer than it would compare otherwise.

The Beresford, for the price, should be purchased simply because it is a great value as it is today as a Mk6/3 version. If you did fine it to not be your cup then you have lost very little and had a great Head-fi experience. Others for sure would probably enjoy picking up a used on for a little discount. It can always go into a secondary setup like I use it. I purchased it just for this setup. The Lavry is a much bigger stretch to do this way.

Beresford ---+++++++++++---200$
Lavry DA10-------------+++++++++++++++---$975
Cambridge 840c---------------------++++++++++---$1500

Just my crude inadequate attempt to graphically compare these very diverse units.

I was just curious because I am listening to the beresford and it is just way better than it should be at this price. I'll still be picking up a standalone cdp to get more use from my cds.

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #308 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just curious because I am listening to the beresford and it is just way better than it should be at this price. I'll still be picking up a standalone cdp to get more use from my cds.

Yea, it surprised me as well.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #309 of 324
so i just got my beresford mk6/3 today. i dont have the converter to plug it into my computer yet but i just turned it on and plugged in my headphones and there really is a decent amount of noise. i realize you cant really hear it when you are listening to music but does this decrease at all when you plug it into a source or let it burn in or something?

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #310 of 324
What noise? in what context? I don't have it.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #311 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevg73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i just got my beresford mk6/3 today. i dont have the converter to plug it into my computer yet but i just turned it on and plugged in my headphones and there really is a decent amount of noise. i realize you cant really hear it when you are listening to music but does this decrease at all when you plug it into a source or let it burn in or something?

I didn't have noise, but it was truly not a good headphone amp. It's not terrible, but it's not good either. I would get the right cables asap.

GL

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #312 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevg73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the noise will disappear once you use higher impedance headphones. I experienced, as you may have read in this same thread, the same problem, but since I plugged in my new K701's, the beresford's headphone output is dead quiet (when not playing music, of course).

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #313 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't have noise, but it was truly not a good headphone amp. It's not terrible, but it's not good either. I would get the right cables asap.

GL

One observation that I have made for mine is that for a solid state amp it really needs a bit of time to warmed up. Have you noticed this? Give it an hour before listening to it after turning it on or just leave it on.

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #314 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One observation that I have made for mine is that for a solid state amp it really needs a bit of time to warmed up. Have you noticed this? Give it an hour before listening to it after turning it on or just leave it on.

Solid State amps shouldn't need nearly any warmup. Maybe a few seconds max depending how the gear turns on.

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #315 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solid State amps shouldn't need nearly any warmup. Maybe a few seconds max depending how the gear turns on.

I have to say that every amp I've owned sounded better after a warm up. My present one takes around 30 mins to get to it's best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back