Beoplay (B&O) H7's announced
Nov 2, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #31 of 94
Hello raajgunnn

The sound of the H7 is fuller, because more bass.
The H6 specially the mids are unbeaten.
H7 is a little more laid back, the sound is "darker".
H6 is still the best in my opinion, close followed by the H7.
One bad thing is "Cable-to-Body-Sound". I hate this anoying sound
with every moving you will do.
If you don't want wireless (i want!) go with the H6.

Im not a big fan of the H8 closed-in and a lit too "boomy" sound,
not the real flat relaxed b&o sound signature!

The pads of the H7 are the softest.
I love the dark warm comfy sound of my H7, out of the box,
not burned in now, too new...

All of my Beoplay headphones needed 100-150h burn in,
for the best sound!

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #32 of 94
Hello raajgunnn

The sound of the H7 is fuller, because more bass.
The H6 specially the mids are unbeaten.
H7 is a little more laid back, the sound is "darker".
H6 is still the best in my opinion, close followed by the H7.
One bad thing is "Cable-to-Body-Sound". I hate this anoying sound
with every moving you will do.
If you don't want wireless (i want!) go with the H6.

Im not a big fan of the H8 closed-in and a lit too "boomy" sound,
not the real flat relaxed b&o sound signature!

The pads of the H7 are the softest.
I love the dark warm comfy sound of my H7, out of the box,
not burned in now, too new...

All of my Beoplay headphones needed 100-150h burn in,
for the best sound!

Thanks, Ingo. Yeah, I would like to have the wireless option, and $50 isn't that much more to be paying for wireless. I guess I'm just going to have to do a comparison myself and figure out how much dark is too dark! :)

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #35 of 94
Just managed to audition the h7 today. I must say, it sounds good wireless. I'm not sure if it's the BT receiver, but it sounds amped compared to wired. The extra boost is evident in the bass and lower end. I'm beginning to suspect that the b&o headphones drivers in h6-8 require additional amping to drive the bass, so that's the reason why h6 sounds the way it is. It's BT siblings get extra juice from the lithium ion battery, so they tuned the h6 such that it requires less "bass driving power" when connected to an iPhone. I noticed the h7 BT volume control is somewhat independent from iPhone when I turned the iPhone volume all the way up and the sound was still soft. It's like the volume on your cable tv set top box and the volume on your TV set. When wired, it sounds confused and loses out flat to the h6. If you plan to listen to HD tracks on a DAP, get the h6. BT will not get you that kind of definition and cables just sux. In terms of comfort, the h7 weight is noticeably heavier and has thicker ear pads. My ears started feeling warm in the showroom after barely listening to it for 30min. Also, the ear cups are a tad smaller than h6. Bad news for those with larger ears. It's a tighter fit. No prizes for guessing what I got in the end.

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #36 of 94

Hi

I own both H6 and H8.
I like them both, but my favourite of these two is the H8.
H6 sounds very good, but lack the bass for my taste, H8 got the bass H6 is missing.

I wonder how H7 sounds, does the H7 sound like the H6 or H8?
I would prefer H8, but if they sounds like H6 but with more solid bass it would be great.

H6 sits better then H8 to my head, I like over ear better then the on ear headphones.

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #37 of 94
imho, h6 is "tight and bright" while h7 & h8 are "looser and darker". That explains the "boomier" bass. After many hours of burn-in, it should will loosen up, hence h6 gonna sound better with age. Whereas the h7 & h8 will probably get boomier and muddier over time.

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #38 of 94
So I finally got down to visiting the B&O store in Atlanta to look at the H6 and H7. I was never a big fan of the H8 owing to its boomier sound signature and was intrigued about what B&O had done with the H7. 

As other people in this thread have noted, the H7 is as pretty, if not prettier than the H6. The ear pads were cushier and thicker (not necessarily bigger) than the H6 and the H7 was noticeably heavier, but still not that heavy. I listened to the H7 wireless and wired, using my Samsung galaxy S6 and an iPad Air available at the store. I first played "Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin, my go-to song when trying out headphones and within a few seconds I knew the H7 was a hybrid between the H6 and H8. The bass was more present than in the H6, but definitely not overpowering, making the overall signature sound more dynamic. In an ideal world, that would've been enough for me to pull the trigger, but unfortunately the issues with the H7 signature began rearing their heads. The mids were noticeably recessed and the treble sparkle I adore in the H6 was completely missing. The plus though, was that the soundstage appeared unaltered compared to the H6 and was ever present and wonderful. The SQ was definitely better in the iPad over the S6, presumably because of the more superior dac in Apple products. "Feels like we only go backwards" by Tame Impala, sounded, well, tame lacking that airy, ambient quality the song has that H6 reproduces really well.

Unfortunately, the biggest negative for me was when I tried these on wireless. The volume just didn't get loud enough, and considering I NEVER listen to my music that loud anyway, this was a huge bummer. The sound signature was thin, without any distinct instrument separation. The sound quality did improve when I paired the H7 with the iPad (strange!), but overall this was the bigest disappointment. Add to this the fact that the H6 was right beside me, giving me exactly what I thought was missing from the H7, my decision ended up being quite easy.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #39 of 94
  So I finally got down to visiting the B&O store in Atlanta to look at the H6 and H7. I was never a big fan of the H8 owing to its boomier sound signature and was intrigued about what B&O had done with the H7. 

As other people in this thread have noted, the H7 is as pretty, if not prettier than the H6. The ear pads were cushier and thicker (not necessarily bigger) than the H6 and the H7 was noticeably heavier, but still not that heavy. I listened to the H7 wireless and wired, using my Samsung galaxy S6 and an iPad Air available at the store. I first played "Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin, my go-to song when trying out headphones and within a few seconds I knew the H7 was a hybrid between the H6 and H8. The bass was more present than in the H6, but definitely not overpowering, making the overall signature sound more dynamic. In an ideal world, that would've been enough for me to pull the trigger, but unfortunately the issues with the H7 signature began rearing their heads. The mids were noticeably recessed and the treble sparkle I adore in the H6 was completely missing. The plus though, was that the soundstage appeared unaltered compared to the H6 and was ever present and wonderful. The SQ was definitely better in the iPad over the S6, presumably because of the more superior dac in Apple products. "Feels like we only go backwards" by Tame Impala, sounded, well, tame lacking that airy, ambient quality the song has that H6 reproduces really well.

Unfortunately, the biggest negative for me was when I tried these on wireless. The volume just didn't get loud enough, and considering I NEVER listen to my music that loud anyway, this was a huge bummer. The sound signature was thin, without any distinct instrument separation. The sound quality did improve when I paired the H7 with the iPad (strange!), but overall this was the bigest disappointment. Add to this the fact that the H6 was right beside me, giving me exactly what I thought was missing from the H7, my decision ended up being quite easy.

Thanks for being so thorough.  This really helps me because I have been tempted some by the H7s.

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #40 of 94
Glad I could help, ubjuris. Don't get me wrong, the h7s are still pretty good wired. One could compare them to the Master and Dynamic MH40, but they did take away from the qualities the h6s have. One positive thing I didn't mention was also that the h7s don't need an amplifier at all, while the h6 could do better with an amp depending on how you want them to sound. I got the chance to try both out with an oppo HA2 and while it didn't enhance the bass, it made it that much more tasteful and punchy.

But if you were to look at the h7 at what it really is, which is a pair of high end Bluetooth headphones, it doesn't cut the mustard.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #41 of 94
I've owned the H8's, Momentum 2.0 wireless, and now the wired 2.0. After hearing the H6 in an Apple store I'm ready to part with my wired Momentum's. While I do enjoy the bass and energy of both the Mometum and H8, the lack of space between instruments, collapsed soundatage, and vocal clarity all fail compared to the H6. I did find the H6 to be slightly lacking in low end impact but a worthwhile trade off given the other qualities. That said I would really like the best of both worlds and be able to ditch the cable once again! Is the H7 a closer "best of both worlds" between the H6 and H8 as far as sound or is it lacking too many of the more pleasing sonic aspects of the H6? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #42 of 94
  I've owned the H8's, Momentum 2.0 wireless, and now the wired 2.0. After hearing the H6 in an Apple store I'm ready to part with my wired Momentum's. While I do enjoy the bass and energy of both the Mometum and H8, the lack of space between instruments, collapsed soundatage, and vocal clarity all fail compared to the H6. I did find the H6 to be slightly lacking in low end impact but a worthwhile trade off given the other qualities. That said I would really like the best of both worlds and be able to ditch the cable once again! Is the H7 a closer "best of both worlds" between the H6 and H8 as far as sound or is it lacking too many of the more pleasing sonic aspects of the H6? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

The mids and the treble (the strengths of the H6) are definitely recessed wired. Wireless, to my ears, the H7 just sounded thin. It didn't get loud enough either. It could work for what you're looking for wired, but it doesn't cut it once you ditch the cable. And another I forgot to mention in my posts above was that the touch controls were very hit and miss for me. They seemed more responsive/ easy to use in the H8.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #43 of 94
  The mids and the treble (the strengths of the H6) are definitely recessed wired. Wireless, to my ears, the H7 just sounded thin. It didn't get loud enough either. It could work for what you're looking for wired, but it doesn't cut it once you ditch the cable. And another I forgot to mention in my posts above was that the touch controls were very hit and miss for me. They seemed more responsive/ easy to use in the H8.

I found the H8 controls awkward after using the M2 wireless but perhaps with the larger cups it would be easier. It boils down to sound for me, of course I would prefer to have that perfect blend of the H6/H8 in a wireless capacity but I'm not going to pay more and downgrade SQ so I can go wireless. I'll just use my $50 gym cans for that.

Anyways, thanks for the response! Going to get my M2's up for sale and grab some H6's and a FiiO A3 to go with.

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #45 of 94
  Disappointing that the H7's seem to lack sound quality its so hard to find a good blueooth set of cans my search continues.   

It's pretty early in the game and the audiophile cans are just getting started. I think we can only expect to see better offerings and cost to sound ratio as the demand for better sounding wireless cans continues. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back