Beogram RX Question
Nov 26, 2010 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I just purchased a new cartridge (SMMC4) for my Beogram RX.  I got this deck used a few years ago, used it for a little while but didn't like the sound.  Based on what others told me the problem was probably a worn out stylus.  Since you can't replace the stylus on the Beograms - you must replace the entire cartridge - I forgot about it for a while.

Recently I sold a bunch of gear and had a few bucks left over so I splurged on a new cartridge for the RX.  However, as I was inspecting the deck I noticed that the tonearm, and subsequently the cartridge, seems to sit very low.  There is probably only an 1/8 inch between the base and the headshell.  Is this normal?

I've included a few photos...

This is the old cartridge and I have it installed sideways so as not to damage the stylus.  I attached it so I could balance the tonearm.

Nov 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 7
Anybody have experience with this TT?

Another observation...

With the power off and the tone arm in the off position (as shown in the photos) the bottom of the cartridge sits very low.  If the tonearm is moved to a position over the record, the height seems to increase slighly as it gets to the edge of the platter.  This looks normal to me. 

I'm also wondering if there is a way to adjust the suspension.  It seems a bit too bouncy to me although that may be as it was designed.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 7
Nobody had offered any advice on this so I'll try bumping it again.

I noticed in this thread there is a photo of a Beogram RX2 and it shows the tonearm sitting up a little higher in the return position.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/445407/a-used-turntable-question/15 

DSC04567.jpg

If I move the tonearm into position where it would be playing a record it does go up a little and seems to be sitting in the right spot.  My guess is that it will work fine but that I'll need to be careful that nothing causes the table to move too much or the stylus could hit the base of the turntable.

If it is sitting a little too low is there any way to adjust it?  Does it have to do with how the supension is set and if so is there a way to adjust it?

Should I just stop worrying and just play the thing?

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 7
The cart is on sideways so the stylus dosnt hit the plinth.

My guess is that one of the suspension springs is messed up and the whole thing is riding low.  Perhaps it just slipped off of its mount?

The platter should be roughly parallel to the plinth, is it? If the platter is much higher on one side than the other I'm pretty sure the suspension is weird. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Ari is correct.  I have the cart on sideways to avoid any damage (even though that's the old cart).  I haven't put on the new cart yet but have the old cart on specifically for the purpose of balancing the tonearm. So it is balanced unless I did it wrong.

The platter appears to be parallel to the plinth but I'm going from memory since I'm not in front of it now.  When I get home I'll double check to make sure it appears level on both sides. 

Does anyone know if the suspension is adjustable on this or if it's off is the table shot?

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 7
I discovered part of the problem or actually there may be two separate problems.  When I looked closer at the platter to see if it was level with the plinth, I discovered that the plinth itself was not level.  I'm not that familiar with turntable lingo so I might have this wrong, but I don't think it was actually the plinth that wasn't level.  There is a metal plate that sits on top of the turntable.  In other words there are actually two parts - a 1/8" thick metal plates with cutouts for the platter, tonearm and control, and the base that is actually holding up the spindle.  That top metal plate had come loose so the control buttons were not fitting through their holes.  This caused the plate to be wedged up a bit bringing it closer to the cartridge.

I was able to realign the buttons with the plate and it sat back down in it's place.  However, on the tonearm side of the plate, it's popping up a little, not very much, but you can push it down about 1/16".  I think I need to get a little crazy glue or something and glue this plate back down.  I imagine that's how it must have been held in place to begin with.

As I said though, it may be two separate problems.  Although the height of the tonearm looks better now, it still seems to sit a bit low to me when the arm is returned all the way.  However, if I push the tonearm towards the platter, when it gets to about an inch away, it rises up a bit.  I have no idea if this is by design, or if it's broken; and if it is broken does it really matter.  Seems to me the turntable should work fine.  I'll probably just try it out with the old cart and a beater record and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back