Bent plug question
Apr 3, 2011 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Terdinus Asus

New Head-Fier
So I noticed the plug on my Sennheiser MX980 was bent slightly, so I decided to bend it back, and it's straight now.  But I noticed that at one of the plastic separators there's a small gap.  I'm assuming that since there's a plastic separator there to begin with, this tiny gap is not an issue? The headphones don't sound different...yet. 

I guess what I'm lacking is a working knowledge of the plug, so I'm going a little paranoid, even though it all sounds OK.  Is there anything inside that I may have broken bending it back, or it is it really as simple as a rod of metal with plastic rings separating bits of it? 

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 3
Headphone plugs are known as TRS plugs - tip, ring, sleeve. These correspond to the left channel, right channel, and ground channel respectively. Each of these has insulators between them, to keep them from interacting with each other. Also, when you plug it into a jack, these plastic separators discourage the jack contacts from touching more than one of these at a time. So, there's a bit of working knowledge of a headphone plug. :wink: As far as yours and how it will hold up, it's hard to say. I wouldn't worry about the gap around the insulator; if everything sounds ok, the insulators are still able to do their job, at least for now. Whatever caused the plug to bend may have put some strain on the internal wire connections - where the cable is soldered to the plug. But again, if it sounds ok, it should be fine, but these connections may have been weakened a bit and future abuse may have a bigger effect.

At the gym I do some running on a treadmill, and elliptical training; as careful as I try to be, occasionally I end up dropping my ipod or accidentally swinging my arm into my IEM cord, ripping it out and sending the ipod flying. This has bent the plug a few times, and I would just bend it back and things would be OK. But after this happened three times, the plug was damaged and I could only hear out of one channel, and had to replace it. If you have to replace yours eventually, it's not the end of the world, just a few bucks and a little bit of time.

PS Why does the post editor on this board suck sometimes? Often it won't recognize when I hit 'enter,' I can't move the cursor by clicking the mouse, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back