Benny pimped my ride!
Aug 6, 2006 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

deadie

500+ Head-Fier
... er, amp!

Benny, heretofore known as XCan pimpmaster el general, modded my Musical Fidelity XCanV3 amp and this post shall be known as my review.

"Hoochi mama!"
biggrin.gif

Thanks Benny!

huh, what? more?

ok...

But first, pics!

bennymod1smtm6.jpg

bennymod2smws9.jpg

bennymod3smvs4.jpg

bennymod4smjc6.jpg

bennymod5smjh3.jpg

Step one involved him replacing the stock caps with those seen above. I shipped him my board on Monday, he got it on Wednesday, did the mods, and shipped it right back the same day!

Step two: replace stock power supply with beefier part.

Step three: replace stock Philips tubes with Russian 6n23p part.

Step four: burn in for two days

Step five: Experience Diana Krall's voice making sweet magical musical love to my headphones, with my ears and brain along for the giddy ride.

So again, "hoochi mama!"

If there's such a thing as sound being buttery, yet lightning quick, clear, and powerful, this is it. The amp was already ballsy, but the mods opened up the sound. I finally know what "removing the veil" means.

Also, the amp's noise floor is considerably lowered. Pre-mod, my sensitive UE 5 pros could pick up hiss and humm (yes, it was grounded), but now, the background is much blacker.

All in all, I'm very very pleased with the sound - thanks Benny!

Aug 6, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie
... er, amp!

Benny, heretofore known as XCan pimpmaster el general, modded my Musical Fidelity XCanV3 amp and this post shall be known as my review.

"Hoochi mama!"
biggrin.gif

Thanks Benny!

huh, what? more?

ok...

But first, pics!

bennymod1smtm6.jpg

bennymod2smws9.jpg

bennymod3smvs4.jpg

bennymod4smjc6.jpg

bennymod5smjh3.jpg

Step one involved him replacing the stock caps with those seen above. I shipped him my board on Monday, he got it on Wednesday, did the mods, and shipped it right back the same day!

Step two: replace stock power supply with beefier part.

Step three: replace stock Philips tubes with Russian 6n23p part.

Step four: burn in for two days

Step five: Experience Diana Krall's voice making sweet magical musical love to my headphones, with my ears and brain along for the giddy ride.

So again, "hoochi mama!"

If there's such a thing as sound being buttery, yet lightning quick, clear, and powerful, this is it. The amp was already ballsy, but the mods opened up the sound. I finally know what "removing the veil" means.

Also, the amp's noise floor is considerably lowered. Pre-mod, my sensitive UE 5 pros could pick up hiss and humm (yes, it was grounded), but now, the background is much blacker.

All in all, I'm very very pleased with the sound - thanks Benny!

Very nice, ThankYou! But I can not steal the title from Mr. Pink! as he started all this Xcan mod stuff. Given that I mod just about ever piece of gear I get my hands on, there's nothing to say that I would have not modded my Xcan anyway, but Pink did inspire me!

I'm real happy that you like the work and sound!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
Very nice, ThankYou! But I can not steal the title from Mr. Pink! as he started all this Xcan mod stuff. Given that I mod just about ever piece of gear I get my hands on, there's nothing to say that I would have not modded my Xcan anyway, but Pink did inspire me!

I'm real happy that you like the work and sound! When I spoke with MF about cap changing, The guy named John told me it was a silly waste of time and money. I now wonder if he's ever really taken the time to compare, I think not!

I've got to go eat as my sugar feels low. Bye!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Yeah that pinkfloyd-guy... hes a real wacko
wink.gif

Nice job on the mods. I'm really starting to like 6922/6DJ8 tubes a lot. Inexpensive and pretty easy to find. On top of that many 12AX7/AU7/AT7 tubes will generally drop right in (depending on the amp of course). Im thinking a used Melos should be my next amp upgrade.

Garrett

Aug 6, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
You should consider adding heat sinks to prevent scorching of the board.

The outputs on mine never got so hot as to burn my fingers but I did do heat sinks anyway(just for giggles).

205332887_b7e660e110_o.jpg

Benny.

Aug 6, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Yeah that pinkfloyd-guy... hes a real wacko
wink.gif

Nice job on the mods. I'm really starting to like 6922/6DJ8 tubes a lot. Inexpensive and pretty easy to find. On top of that many 12AX7/AU7/AT7 tubes will generally drop right in (depending on the amp of course). Im thinking a used Melos should be my next amp upgrade.

Garrett

Ya, I'm not sure why I sometimes see the 6dj8 types getting a bad rap? I've had them in home audio for years. They sound great and seem to last a long time.

maybe it started with phono stage designs? and now that phono is far between, the 6dj8 has found its calling in pre-amp level designs? were super low noise is not needed?(as in a phono circuit).

Aug 7, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 21
6DJ8's (6922) are very fine tubes and are in abundance. I was a big fan of the Electro-harmonix when I had a 6922 amp. Also check out the Bugle Boy's... those are some sweet tubes!

Pinkie sure is the man!
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I am anal, not only did mine get heat sinks but I also added Herbie Halo's to my matche russian 6H23-EB tubes.
cool.gif

xs.php
[/url][/IMG]

Where's a pic of the halo's?

205039083_b8545dc29d_o.jpg

Aug 7, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 21
Benny,
Man after seeing this it makes me want one also.Wife is losing her job tomorrow so my hifi needs will be put on hold.

I've used combos of BG std/nx and Rubycon za/zl which I really like with very good results in my equipment.

What are your opinions with them in this amp ?

Aug 7, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964
Benny,
Man after seeing this it makes me want one also.Wife is losing her job tomorrow so my hifi needs will be put on hold.

I've used combos of BG std/nx and Rubycon za/zl which I really like with very good results in my equipment.

What are your opinions with them in this amp ?

I'm not real big on tring all different kinds of caps(I dont feel its all that good on the PCB. I think if your using the top caps from the best company's you'll be fine. The signal path is a whole different story!

I've tried different values and brands.When I put in the BG's I was hoping for the best and expecting the worst. I'd heard, there grainy and take months to brake in. In the case of the X-CanV3, I found improvement from top to bottom! The bottom got tight, fast and controled. The top did not get grainy at all, just cleaner, faster and more air between the notes. I've only had them installed for about 100 hours(non stop music time) and I'm 100% pleased with them. If they improve with more burn-in, thats a plus.

Benny.
600smile.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
Where's a pic of the halo's?

205039083_b8545dc29d_o.jpg

You know, I do not have a picture of them on the X-Can V3!
mad.gif
I thought of opening up the amp but I would have to take the whole rig down and I am too lazy.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 21
I also had my XcanV3 modded by Benny. Excellent work indeed! Had mine back in 4 days. I can say this mod is definately worth the money. This is my first high end amp, I had a Little Dot II+ that I sold to buy this.

The cap mod made everything so much more fluid and clear. I can hear more lower end bass, great mids and at the same time crystal clear highs. The separation and staging was vastly improved too. Even using the stock Jan tubes it sounds good. Benny just sent me some 6H1N's that took it to another level again. I wish it was easier to roll them tubes!

My Modded V3 along with a NAD C542 and HD650's w/Blue Dragon V2's are a awesome combination. Next step is a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back