Benefits of a CDP over a decent DAC for ur computer...?
Apr 16, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #61 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dom check out Tyrion's set up it will change your mind on the quality issue. I would glady do an after hours face off at canjam with your cdp and Mike's min/duet out of the amp of your choice

Is he running MP3s? Or some type of lossless?

Most average users will not even use 256k mp3s...im sure tyrion is ripping his music into lossless.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #62 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is he running MP3s? Or some type of lossless?

Most average users will not even use 256k mp3s...im sure tyrion is ripping his music into lossless.

Dom yes most people who use their computer to load a dap will keep mp3s but those that have made the leap to a dedicated computer rig to replace a cdp run flac, apple lossles or wave files. Of course lossy files won't sound as good I don't thing anyone here is attempting to make that point. I still say check it out I'll buy the beer

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #63 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dom yes most people who use their computer to load a dap will keep mp3s but those that have made the leap to a dedicated computer rig to replace a cdp run flac, apple lossles or wave files. Of course lossy files won't sound as good I don't thing anyone here is attempting to make that point. I still say check it out I'll buy the beer

Yeah =) Lossless is pretty much the same quality of CD in my opinion...if there is a difference it would be really hard to tell. I can however pick out 256k and lower MP3s or WMA files. Can always tell with some cymbal crashes or a really nice high pitch squeel, kinda like Miles Davis Kind of Blue with the mute in the trumpet.

I have some FLAC audio and running out of my PC via ASIO driver or Kernal Stream is really not bad at all. I have had it to where i like it...i do love the "all your music at your finger tips" aspect of course.

Im going to have to have a listen for sure...did mike make a complete move to PC source? Good lord, im going to have to accidentally stop by his house sometime for a listen.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #64 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im going to have to have a listen for sure...did mike make a complete move to PC source? Good lord, im going to have to accidentally stop by his house sometime for a listen.

Yeah we made the move around the same time and here is the kicker we both went wavelength cosecant and found the duet not to be a step down
eek.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #65 of 81
well with you guys you better off cause of how much music you own. I have about 300 or so CDs/SACDs give or take and its starting to get to the point where its unmanageable.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #66 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd put my setup against yours any time, you coming to canjam?

LOL, I'd love to (get to Canjam) but I'm a little too busy to make that flight from Australia.
It also wouldn't prove anything significant as I'm not moving the 2+TB of FLAC files, my MBP, my 840c and my cables, let alone amps and heahphones in order to provide a head-to-head setup capable of highlighting a difference that at best could possibly differ by four-fifths of ****** all.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #67 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, I'd love to (get to Canjam) but I'm a little too busy to make that flight from Australia.
It also wouldn't prove anything significant as I'm not moving the 2+TB of FLAC files, my MBP, my 840c and my cables, let alone amps and heahphones in order to provide a head-to-head setup capable of highlighting a difference that at best could possibly differ by four-fifths of ****** all.
rolleyes.gif

just bring yourself we'll get a 840c there the music is no problem as there will be 3-5 TB or music in lossless already there, c'mon it's only a 24 flight with layovers right
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #69 of 81
Can I just remind people that's it all subjective to one's own opinion?

Personally I'd go for a blind test where possible to ascertain one's true opinion about both sources...

J

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #70 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
um...I should star looking at DACs and forget about the 840c
frown.gif

I imagine the 840c has a pretty good DAC AND can be a great cdp. Why not buy an 840c and connect your computer to it AND use it to play cd's. I have thought of buying the 740c for the same reason.

Apr 17, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #71 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I imagine the 840c has a pretty good DAC AND can be a great cdp. Why not buy an 840c and connect your computer to it AND use it to play cd's. I have thought of buying the 740c for the same reason.

I have considered this route, but I think I am going to end up with a Stello DAC instead. The fact of the matter is that I moved to FLAC+server a while back and I doubt I will listen to very many CDs via a CD player in the future.

If I had 100 CDs, I think I would stick with a CD player, but with 1300+ CDs, it just makes it easier to fnd albums, artists, etc.. without ever leaving my chair. Also, since the music is on a network, I can listen to my entire collection in any room of the house using Roku M1000s/laptops/PS3s.

My computers and Rokus can be controlled with a remote. So that is not a problem at all. I leave my media server computer running all the time, so reboots are not a problem, either. The more I think about it, I can't think of any reason I would want to go back to a CD player.

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #72 of 81
I think, ultimately the move away from CD's for the mainstream is inevitable (however long that takes).

For me I have only been able to convert about a third of my 4000+ CDs to flac, purely due to the practicality of the cost of that much redundant storage.

I could have ripped them all to smaller MP3's but I figure I'd rather only have to go through the hassle of physically ripping my CD's once. Better to have them in a lossless format which could be batch converted to any future format down the road!
wink.gif

I still enjoy browsing through CD's though... I just dont enjoy scrolling on an iPod or SB3 display.

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #73 of 81
This might be a bit off topic but it applies. I just don't get how "lossless" works. If it only takes up half the room where is the other half of the information? Is there truly no information loss in "lossless conversion" and if so why don't CDs use the same format to save space? SACD and DVD audio have many times more information pressed into the discs. How does lossless preserve ALL the information?

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #74 of 81
I think CDs still have a ways to go before they are forgotten. Dont forget people like DJs and MC's that use LPs and even CDs to spin and scratch. Granted, this can all be done digitally...but the cost is still much higher...a average kid can go pick up 2 turntables and a mixer for cheap.

I do agree though, someday....not really any time soon, we all will face the digital only era.

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #75 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might be a bit off topic but it applies. I just don't get how "lossless" works. If it only takes up half the room where is the other half of the information? Is there truly no information loss in "lossless conversion" and if so why don't CDs use the same format to save space? SACD and DVD audio have many times more information pressed into the discs. How does lossless preserve ALL the information?

Well lossless isnt half the room, in fact its 100% of the room mainly. Depending on the format. I believe all CDs are in .wav format when read in a PC. This is normally about 30-40mb per song. If you go FLAC, its about the same, maybe a bit bigger as there are different levels.

Mp3s are LOSSY format..They are normally 3-5mb in size...they are chopped down for amount.

If you thinking digitally, the normal CD format is .wav to a PC and is about 30-40mb, the MP3 is normally about 3-5mb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back