Benchmark to Meridian/Naim/Arcam = Upgrade?
Dec 26, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran Comito
Anyone compare the DAC1 to the new Musical Fidelity DAC? Thanks

The Benchmark Dac was much brighter and thin, it had sibilance that bothered me. It's musical, but not quite involving enough for me.

The MF Dac is more musical and less, but still somewhat, bright.

I listened to both and ended up buying the MF Dac.

Dec 26, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
using your g08, what is the one cd that to you simply comes to life?

They all do; it was pretty much like getting a new music library at the same time.

EDIT: Possibly the most dramatic improvement is how the G08 sorts out the dense thrash of Smashing Pumpkins and the like; it's good to hear the art that's in there as well as the noise.

Dec 26, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
The Benchmark Dac was much brighter and thin, it had sibilance that bothered me. It's musical, but not quite involving enough for me.

The MF Dac is more musical and less, but still somewhat, bright.

I listened to both and ended up buying the MF Dac.

Thanks. I'm looking for a new source and I thought the MF DAC would tide me over until I made a choice. Then, I will move the MF DAC into the second system. Anyone heard the Naim CD5x? I am going to look at the Naim(there is a dealer in Kanas City), and maybe the MF A5 for starters.

Dec 27, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #23 of 25
I have a NAIM CD5X and Love it. I upgraded from a CD5 in August.

I’m using Grado HP2’s with an EAR HP4 and Chord Cobra II Din to RCA.

I see you have a Stealth- Lucky Dog. Yeah the NAIM CD Players sound really nice with tube gear. The HP4 uses 6SL7’s and my other amp is a custom 6 watt SET Ultra-linear with a 5751 and EL84’s.

It’s not for everyone. But it’s an incredibly musical player to me. I get happy feet and become immersed in the music.

The new series has a little different sound than the older Olive Box’s.

I think the higher end sources are definitely worth the money you just have to get lucky and be able to hear the different units to decide for yourself.

I hope you get to hear one for yourself since you’ll never know until you try.

The additional power supplies just make a nice upgrade path and are supposed to make a nice improvement. I was debating going up to a CDX2 but unfortunately common sense reared its ugly head. Maybe next year?

Mitch

Dec 27, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #24 of 25
Thanks for the feedback braillediver. I will be out auditoning stuff after this week. I have to many bowl games to get through first
icon10.gif
. Yeah, I like the Stealth a lot.

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #25 of 25
I demoed a whole bunch of DACs, including the Benchmark DAC1 USB, MF DAC, and the DAC•iT. The DAC•iT is worth hearing. Agree that the DAC1 is refreshingly clear and precise sounding, but pending on the system it can be sibilant and fatiguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back