Benchmark Media DAC1 HDR
Jan 15, 2011 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the Benchmark Media DAC1 HDR in my home for an extended audition and I must say that it is quite good. Of course, my Resolution Audio Opus 21 full stack replicates all of the features contained in the Benchmark Media DAC1 HDR and the sound performance on a much higher level entirely. What I noticed most about the Benchmark DAC1 HDR is how cleanly it handles the signal regardless of the source and it reproduces that same signal faithfully with virtually no colorations or distortions even at high listening volumes. I am using my Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO earphones most of the time to get an accurate picture of the Benchmark DAC1 for my critical listening sessions. However, I did use my Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones and the results are an interesting combination of speed, clarity, and transparency. If I had not purchased my Resolution Audio Opus 21 full stack, then I would have most certainly bought the Benchmark Media DAC1 HDR for its slew of useful functions and features. Compared to my aging Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR-2 headphone amplifier, the HPA2 headphone amplifier lacks the drive, dynamics, and bottom end visceral impact along with the warmth of the AD797 operational amplifiers. Ultimately, the Benchmark Media DAC1 HDR is designed for professional audio environments for monitoring purposes or for professional consumers looking for an accurate, balanced, and neutral source component or headphone amplifier.

Though I like it, it is not what I seek in an audio product. I really have no use for professional audio components as there is no need for me to record or mix music in a professional environment. I also feel that the headphone amplifier is a little bit of a let down compared to higher end headphone amplifiers manufactured by audiophile manufacturers. I did expect more from the HPA2 revision, but it seems that they cleaned up the signal some more and decreased distortion while driving a wider range of dynamic headphones.

If you listen to a lot of classical and opera, then the Benchmark Media DAC1 HDR along with the Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO are the best combination for accuracy, neutrality, and transparency. It is a little bit of a boring reproduction of the original signal, but if that is what you want then this is how you can get it. I felt that the combination of the DAC1 HDR and the "Raffinato" headphones was interesting, but it wound up creating a much more polite and sterile audio presentation that lacked bloom and magic. In my opinion and experience, a tube based headphone amplifier does justice to these headphones because they have a unique presentation. As such, the Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2 with the stock AD797 operational amplifiers do an excellent job to create a full, rich, and warm sound with powerful dynamics.

I have not yet finished my two week home audition of the Benchmark Media DAC1 HDR, but I am fairly certain of my opinions after several days of non-stop critical listening sessions.

I will say that I do recommend this component to those that require a highly accurate, neutral, and transparent source component or a headphone amplifier that can handle a wide range of dynamic earphones and headphones. I would also recommend them to audiophiles looking to build a versatile, flexible, and accurate listening station especially if they have in ear monitors designed for professional audio applications such as the Ultimate Ears brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back