Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #631 of 1,410
I also utilize the AHB2 power amp to drive my speakers and will be following the HPA4 with great interest.
I've hardly used my DIY F6 since getting the AHB2 and can't imagine being without it.
The HPA4 has all the features I require and would allow me to do away with both my Bryston BP26 preamp and BHA-1 HP amp.
Pretty excited about the potential of this device.
Since the Susvara needs more raw power and the AHB2 and HPA4 are close in price new, would it be foolish just to get the AHB2 to drive both the Susvara and the Abyss TC and then return/sell either can once a decision is made between the two? Several users feel that only a speaker amp will effectively drive the Susvara to it maximum dynamic potential. I wonder if both Susvara and ABYSS TC will be at the Benchmark booth in NYC next weekend??

Feb 10, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #632 of 1,410
Since the Susvara needs more raw power and the AHB2 and HPA4 are close in price new, would it be foolish just to get the AHB2 to drive both the Susvara and the Abyss TC and then return/sell either can once a decision is made between the two? Several users feel that only a speaker amp will effectively drive the Susvara to it maximum dynamic potential. I wonder if both Susvara and ABYSS TC will be at the Benchmark booth in NYC next weekend??

Those users are simply wrong IME. Neither headphone needs a speaker amp to drive them fully. A good powerful desktop headphone amplifier like the HPA4 will drive them incredibly well. Plus, the added danger of blowing out drivers on such expensive headphones is a big concern.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #633 of 1,410
The advantage of an all-Benchmark system is that the interfaces can all operate at studio levels (+24 dBu) instead of at much lower consumer signal levels. Most consumer-grade balanced interfaces operate at a maximum of 4 Vrms which is 14.2 dBu. The extra 10 dB of signal level provided by using studio signal levels, often increases the system SNR by the same factor.

+24 dBu is 12.28 Vrms. Unbalanced interfaces operate at just 2 Vrms which is 16 dB lower than 24 dBu. Studio balanced interfaces have a 16 dB advantage over unbalanced RCA connections (ignoring the additional advantages common mode noise rejection provided by the balanced interface). Moving from consumer unbalanced interfaces to studio-grade balanced interfaces is a huge upgrade.

To be fair, there are some other products that support studio signal levels, but these products are rarely marketed to hi fi users. Benchmark builds products that are adaptable to consumer level signals and these products work well in systems that have a mix of professional and consumer products. Nevertheless, the best performance is always achieved when the entire system operates at studio signal levels.

I have written more about this topic here:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/balanced-vs-unbalanced-analog-interfaces

Hi John,
I understand that keeping the signal level high gives a good SNR but how to keep the receiving equipment linear with such high input levels?

TiA
13DoW

Feb 11, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #634 of 1,410
It’s interesting that the AHB2 and HPA4 are so close in price. Some say the HPA4 has more than enough headroom and dynamic push to drive either the TC or Susvara. Others seem to think the Susvara needs more power. I hope both will be at the Benchmark booth at tha NYC CanJam this weekend.

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #635 of 1,410
It’s interesting that the AHB2 and HPA4 are so close in price. Some say the HPA4 has more than enough headroom and dynamic push to drive either the TC or Susvara. Others seem to think the Susvara needs more power. I hope both will be at the Benchmark booth at tha NYC CanJam this weekend.

The HPA4 is plenty for either the TC and Susvara...plenty. I would be worried about too much power and blowing out drivers with a speaker amp.

Feb 25, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #636 of 1,410
Tonight I've been listening to my Shure SE846, some of the most source dependent little divas the IEM world has to offer. The sound utterly amazing on the HPA4! Much more neutral without the upper mids suckout caused by my DAP's impendance mismatch. Plus, the bass is far better resolved and tighter now, alleviating the bloat there. Imaging and separation are stellar, but the real surprise is that now they have legit soundstage, on par with a closed back over-ear. Not outrageous or anything, but a huge improvement of the completely in-cranium sound they had before. So much more of a big, satisfying, expansive sound to them. Now I just need a cable longer than two feet for them...

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #637 of 1,410
Tonight I've been listening to my Shure SE846, some of the most source dependent little divas the IEM world has to offer. The sound utterly amazing on the HPA4! Much more neutral without the upper mids suckout caused by my DAP's impendance mismatch. Plus, the bass is far better resolved and tighter now, alleviating the bloat there. Imaging and separation are stellar, but the real surprise is that now they have legit soundstage, on par with a closed back over-ear. Not outrageous or anything, but a huge improvement of the completely in-cranium sound they had before. So much more of a big, satisfying, expansive sound to them. Now I just need a cable longer than two feet for them...

And tonight I'm using my HPA4 to drive my Susvara headphones. Talk about having it all! From the SE846 to the power hungry Susvara. Nimble and quiet enough for IEMs, but enough power to drive these headphones without breaking a sweat!

Feb 26, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #638 of 1,410
Also the HPA4 is very revealing of your source so the source can make you love the HPA4 or hate it.

For me adding a dedicated streamer versus coming out straight from PC made a huge difference. Changed the sound of the HPA4 drastically.

Feb 27, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #640 of 1,410
Less glare, clearer, more musical, more natural sounding.

Feb 27, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #641 of 1,410
Also the HPA4 is very revealing of your source so the source can make you love the HPA4 or hate it.

For me adding a dedicated streamer versus coming out straight from PC made a huge difference. Changed the sound of the HPA4 drastically.

I've been spoiled with the Chord DAVE as my source to the HPA4. :)

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #642 of 1,410
Less glare, clearer, more musical, more natural sounding.

I second the experience, Chord DAVE definitely profits substantially from a very good server/streamer prior to it, as your case has shown. I noted that even a cheaper streaming unit like Naim NDX2 was giving me a better overall performance than let's say 'bare' Chord DAVE connected directly to a decent PC (iMac, etc.).

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #643 of 1,410
HPA4 was my first proper amp, said good bye to it yesterday as I can not afford to keep 2 amps. Farewell. *cries few tears*

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #644 of 1,410
Got my HPA4 a few weeks ago and have been steadily breaking it in. So far it has been performing great with my Abyss TC and also as a preamp for my 3 sources. I got the rackmount version of the HPA4 for use with a Platform desk by Output. Really happy with this desk! I bought F208Franks's DAC3 B to pair with the HPA4. Here is a pic of them rackmounted together on the Platform. Works really well and consumes no working desktop real estate.
IMG_1677.jpg

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #645 of 1,410
Got my HPA4 a few weeks ago and have been steadily breaking it in. So far it has been performing great with my Abyss TC and also as a preamp for my 3 sources. I got the rackmount version of the HPA4 for use with a Platform desk by Output. Really happy with this desk! I bought F208Franks's DAC3 B to pair with the HPA4. Here is a pic of them rackmounted together on the Platform. Works really well and consumes no working desktop real estate.

That setup looks super clean! Nicely done. The HPA4 is just an amazing piece of kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back