Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Aug 30, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #1,306 of 1,410
Excellent and most appreciated- you may have saved me $3K. I've read this on other forums, from a few that own both the RME and HPA4.
But that is just based on my ears with strict A/B. Meaning not based on feel. Based on physical place where you a/b at the same time (long time ago). But then again only with HD650 300 ohms. Tubes makes more difference. If you ask me, I still go for HPA-4. For power and transparency, its just my dream solid state.

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #1,307 of 1,410
As always, your assessment of the benefits and detriments of any piece of sonic gear depends on the rest of your system and your tastes. I currently own two TOTL headphones, both Kennerton. My Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition Mark 2 phones use a graphene-laminated Mylar driver and have a warm, dark, dynamic, bass-prominent signature while my Rognir planar magnetic phones have a much more detailed, faster, spacious, transparent signature with much less bass weight. My previous headphone amp was a nice Quicksilver tubed amp with a fairly neutral presentation but it was just too much of a good thing with the GH50s but paired nicely with the Rognirs. OTOH, my current Benchmark HPA4 was just what the GH50s needed, much more detail, speed, space, and transparency. I also think it is a great match with the Rognirs and provides a level of those attributes I have never heard before although many would probably find the bass level too low. I personally like the faster presentation of the HPA4 and find most headphones to have WAY too much bass, often sounding like those cars with a boom box acting like a Helmholtz Radiator (a single frequency bass resonance). To me it is pleasing to begin with but after a time all music begins sounding the same and it becomes tiring and annoying. BTW, I bought my HPA4 from Benchmark and ordered the rack mount version with the cooling fins and had them change out the rack mount faceplate to the standard faceplate.
Gjallarhorn GH50 JME Mk.2-Benchmark HPA4.JPG

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #1,308 of 1,410
Bumping this thread with the hopes of gaining some opinions from current HPA4 owners!

I've been reading and studying up on the HPA4 for a few months now and believe it to be the absolute best measuring/performing solid state option out there and and absolute end game-level/TOTL amp. I find that in my journey of hi-fi and headphone listening, I'm finding myself a critical and analytical listener and don't necessarily gravitate towards the "tubey" sound with too much coloration.

I currently own two ZMF headphones (300 Ohm Verite Open & Auteur) and the RME ADI2 DAC. Would you all agree that the Benchmark HPA4 will provide a step up from the built in solid state amp section of my RME and would you agree that going balanced connection between my DAC and HPA4 would be optimal? I believe the ZMF headphones would pair well, purely based on specs and the amount of output provided into 300 Ohm cans (about 1 watt, if I'm not mistaken- absolutely above sufficient power)?

I love everything I've read about the company, customer service, etc. While there are many out there that state other, lesser-expensive brands are "just as good", I think the feature set, return policy, support, and track record from Benchmark says it all. Please let me know what you all think.

You seem to know exactly what to expect and to be after the kind of sound in which Benchmark is superlative. For detailed, precise, transparent, resolving sound, I've never heard anything better than the HPA4. And I've tried many. I've even auditioned the ADI-2 DAC for a while. After years with the HPA4 and various other transparent amps, I've found that while the HPA4 often sounds more resolving and cleaner, the biggest difference is that the HPA4 never falters. There hasn't been a headphone yet, and rarely an IEM for that matter, which did not sound absolutely its best on that amp. Other amps, like the RME actually, do better with some headphones than with others. Maybe planars sound great, but high-z dynamics do not. Or maybe bassy headphones sound muddy, but brighter headphones sound clean. Etc. The HPA4 is the only one where everything I throw at it is driven with equal excellence. That is an advantage that obviously comes out most clearly with a wide variety of headphones in your collection. With only 300 ohm dynamics, assuming you enjoy your current sound, it is probably more cost effective to keep the RME. Should you ever buy a moderately hard to drive planar, that would be the time to consider an HPA4 IMO.

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #1,309 of 1,410
Excellent and most appreciated- you may have saved me $3K. I've read this on other forums, from a few that own both the RME and HPA4.
The HPA4 is extremely transparent, if you use an RME as a DAC it is likely that it will sound the same because it will be its bottleneck. I use it in a stack with the DAC3, which via XLR provides a very dynamic 12V signal, compared to the usual 4V of other balanced devices.
The ZMF Verité is driven very smoothly and with excellent performance.

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #1,310 of 1,410
The HPA4 is extremely transparent, if you use an RME as a DAC it is likely that it will sound the same because it will be its bottleneck. I use it in a stack with the DAC3, which via XLR provides a very dynamic 12V signal, compared to the usual 4V of other balanced devices.
The ZMF Verité is driven very smoothly and with excellent performance.
Hi, what do you mean by bottleneck ?

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #1,311 of 1,410
I think Barone Birra means that the RME DAC will be the limiting factor sonically but perhaps he can weigh in also. For myself, it was easy to hear the difference in partnering equipment including DACs. My upgrade path was from the $360 SMSL SU-8 V2 to the $3500 Auralic Vega to my current $11,000 Bricasti M1SE with network streamer and the improvement in sound was easily discernable.

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #1,312 of 1,410
Hi, what do you mean by bottleneck ?
Which will have the same strengths and weaknesses as the RME, simply by amplifying its signal. Maybe higher DACs will be able to provide a more expanded, layered, dynamic etc. signal.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #1,314 of 1,410
I am considering a Benchmark HPA4 and DAC3B combo to run DCA Expanse. Just wondering if this might be a good pairing? I tend to lean towards a lively, punchy, engaging sound than something that neutral. I like the design and appearance of this stack, its desktop friendly and well priced, so am hopeful it would be a good match.

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #1,315 of 1,410
I am considering a Benchmark HPA4 and DAC3B combo to run DCA Expanse. Just wondering if this might be a good pairing? I tend to lean towards a lively, punchy, engaging sound than something that neutral. I like the design and appearance of this stack, its desktop friendly and well priced, so am hopeful it would be a good match.
I had the be HPA4 and while it is an AMAZINGLY transparent amp, it was too neutral for me without enough "meat on the bones" to keep it.
If transparency is your thing, then Benchmark is the way to go. However, sometimes in your pursuit of transparency you will get too much leanness.
Just my be 2 cents.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #1,316 of 1,410
I had the be HPA4 and while it is an AMAZINGLY transparent amp, it was too neutral for me without enough "meat on the bones" to keep it.
If transparency is your thing, then Benchmark is the way to go. However, sometimes in your pursuit of transparency you will get too much leanness.
Just my be 2 cents.
Thats they price for transparency. I think that one need copper cabling with amp like that or softer sounding dac.
There should balance Between components.

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #1,317 of 1,410
Thanks for the replies. I am going for the HPA4 and DAC3B and will report back once I have sat down with it for a while with the Expanse.

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #1,318 of 1,410
Exactly.

I just reread my posts and I don't know what's with the "be" I kept typing.
Oh Lord... time for another glass of wine I guess.

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #1,319 of 1,410
I agree that the HPA4 is a neutral-sounding amp. Mine is paired with a Bricasti M1SE DAC and network streamer which does ameloriate the speed and detail a bit in favor of midrange body and a little bass weight. I have a pair of Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 JM2 Edition which are bass-prominent and dark and liquid. Using them with a tube amp was just too much of a good thing and the HPA4 was just what they needed. With my RAAL SR1b ribbon nearfield ear monitors they are perhaps a little too lean and lightweight so I EQ'd a +3 dB bass shelf centered at 171 Hz that provides a bit of bass and warmth. The detail of the SR1b using the HPA4 is by far and away the best I have heard.

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #1,320 of 1,410
Very nice! Glad you're happy. Must sound lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back