Benchmark H1
Dec 7, 2006 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sum

100+ Head-Fier
I was just checking random websites and noticed that Benchmark has a new headphone amp out. Any impressions yet?

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 5
It's nothing special. They basically put a HPA-2 into a box
biggrin.gif
The HPA-2 is the headamp found inside the DAC1. That said, the H1 may sound better than the HPA-2 inside the DAC1 because it's getting its own power supply. I wonder how a DAC1 -> H1 -> Headphone will sound compared to a DAC1 -> Headphone.

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm not sure if it is the HPA2 featured in the DAC1. Benchmark has taken down th page with the HPA2's specs, but you can still find a google cache of the page. It shows the HPA2 has a better bandwidth, lower THD, lower output impedance, can drive a lower impedance headphone (30ohm vs. 60 for the H1). At any rate the H1 doesn't look so hot. A high output impedance of 30 ohms means that it can't drive most low-impedance cans properly, and other will like have a bloated bass. I would assume it's intended for studio-only use with 600ohm cans, where that's not an issue.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 5
If you look at the specs of the DAC1, it clearly states that there's a
Quote:

Built-in Benchmark HPA-2, a high-output, ultra-clean headphone amplifier with dual outputs jacks

and the brief introduction to the H1:
Quote:

Inside the H1 is Benchmark's signature headphone amplifier module, the HPA-2™. The sonic purity of the HPA-2™ fulfills even the most demanding headphone applications. The spectacularly clean performance offers true state-of-the-art listening with today's ultra-high performance headphones.

It seems to me the same module/headamp is being used. However, I do agree with you; there are differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back