Benchmark DAC1 on the way, but just saw Yulong...
Apr 11, 2008 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mcdj

New Head-Fier
I just bought a lightly used Benchmark DAC1, basic model. It has yet to arrive. I bought it based on the tons of mostly positive reviews. I also bought it because it has balanced outs and my Rowland preamp has balanced ins. I honestly don't know if that'll end up making any sonic difference, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to use things he paid for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Since I ordered the DAC1, I've been contemplating a headphone purchase. I've read some comments that the DAC1 isn't all that great as a headphone amp. (anyone care to elaborate?). I'm willing to bet it sounds fine to me.

In researching the DAC1's headphone capabilities, I ran across the Yulong DAH1. I have to say that from a strictly industrial design standpoint, the Benchmark DAC doesn't hold a candle to the Yulong. I love the Yulong's look, and it would better match my Rowland system, as well as being 1/2 the price of the Benchmark.

Obviously I'm going to give the Benchmark a chance once it gets here, but I have no problem putting it back up for sale and checking out the Yulong, IF anyone can provide some insight as to what I might expect from the Yulong, as a DAC, and how it might fare as a head amp, as compared to the Benchmark.

I must admit I'm a little Chinese DAC-shy, as I recently had a Diyeden Great March II, which provided weak volume and slightly muddy sound via XLR out and had a low hum (also via XLR). Also the build quality was so-so. The Chinese seem to think that heavy casing=quality, without paying much notice to things like fit and finish.

Thanks!

mcdj

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 9
+1 on the interest. If it is very capable when fed umsampled signal, this would serve as an amazing component of a starter - low-midrange system.

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 9
Gathered all the threads on it - no experiences I could call useful save the fact that the outputs are strong enough to drive 600 ohm AKG Sextetts, and the amplification section is almost identical to Lehmann Black Cube Linear. If it has the amplification abilities of that amp, it could be worth the money, but the DAC's performance remains unexplored. I'd bite, but budget does not permit betting like this.

Also, I cannot figure out how the volume control works, if it is digital, that is very disappointing.

Apr 12, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 9
How much is that Yulong?

I had an original Benchmark DAC1 from some years ago, and I have to admit, the sound straight from Benchmark's own headphone amp was a bit bright. But it was only because Benchmark was "honest," it does try to hide anything or color anything. The sound when I hooked up the Benchmark to my speakers was fantastic.

As to Yulong. Just keep this in mind, if you don't like what you hear, you would have a much easier time selling your Benchmark than selling that Yulong.

Apr 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a lightly used Benchmark DAC1, basic model. It has yet to arrive. I bought it based on the tons of mostly positive reviews. I also bought it because it has balanced outs and my Rowland preamp has balanced ins. I honestly don't know if that'll end up making any sonic difference, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to use things he paid for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Since I ordered the DAC1, I've been contemplating a headphone purchase. I've read some comments that the DAC1 isn't all that great as a headphone amp. (anyone care to elaborate?). I'm willing to bet it sounds fine to me.

In researching the DAC1's headphone capabilities, I ran across the Yulong DAH1. I have to say that from a strictly industrial design standpoint, the Benchmark DAC doesn't hold a candle to the Yulong. I love the Yulong's look, and it would better match my Rowland system, as well as being 1/2 the price of the Benchmark.

Obviously I'm going to give the Benchmark a chance once it gets here, but I have no problem putting it back up for sale and checking out the Yulong, IF anyone can provide some insight as to what I might expect from the Yulong, as a DAC, and how it might fare as a head amp, as compared to the Benchmark.

I must admit I'm a little Chinese DAC-shy, as I recently had a Diyeden Great March II, which provided weak volume and slightly muddy sound via XLR out and had a low hum (also via XLR). Also the build quality was so-so. The Chinese seem to think that heavy casing=quality, without paying much notice to things like fit and finish.

Thanks!

mcdj

The headphone amp is comparable to 300.00 dollar headphone amps. I prefer my 650's/340/SA5000, all balanced through the DAC1 better then my Beyer HR-2 combo.. Will get a adapter son from Alex so I can test my cans on the HR-2..

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 9
Can anyone confirm/deny my level of stupidity for considering the Yulong over the yet-to-be-received Benchmark?

Since my OP above, I have purchased a pair of Senn HD595s and am loving them. As I sit listening to them, with my stereo across my (small) living room, I realize that the Benchmark has no remote. The Yulong does.

Would I be a fool to sell the Benchmark and get the Yulong based on this feature alone?

My music is solely mp3/AAC/lossless...no CDs, etc. My source is an Apple TV only. I wonder if the Benchmark would be so good it's overkill, or if the Yulong would be not enough of a DAC to make a noticeable difference over the Apple's built in DAC.

I can't imagine the Yulong being BETTER than the Benchmark, but as I said, the remote volume is a huge feature for me.

Any advice much appreciated.

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Can anyone confirm/deny my level of stupidity for considering the Yulong over the yet-to-be-received Benchmark?

Since my OP above, I have purchased a pair of Senn HD595s and am loving them. As I sit listening to them, with my stereo across my (small) living room, I realize that the Benchmark has no remote. The Yulong does.

Would I be a fool to sell the Benchmark and get the Yulong based on this feature alone?

My music is solely mp3/AAC/lossless...no CDs, etc. My source is an Apple TV only. I wonder if the Benchmark would be so good it's overkill, or if the Yulong would be not enough of a DAC to make a noticeable difference over the Apple's built in DAC.

I can't imagine the Yulong being BETTER than the Benchmark, but as I said, the remote volume is a huge feature for me.

Any advice much appreciated.

The Yulong may be a step up from your Apple's built-in DAC, but in a computer-bsed system, RAM is your transport, and it's more stable than any spinning disc. So lossless files will take every advantage of a DAC's capability. Basically, in that set-up, your DAC is your source. I wouldn't downgrade it for a remote control.

Tim

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks Tim. Sage advice, assuming of course, that the Benchmark actually outperforms the Yulong. With the growing legions of esoteric Chinese DACs and their equally growing fan base, I sometimes wonder...

OTOH, I sometimes forget that the main reason for getting the Benchmark in the first place is for listening via speakers, not headphones, and the speakers are connected to a nice preamp with a remote (just no headphone jack).

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Thanks Tim. Sage advice, assuming of course, that the Benchmark actually outperforms the Yulong. With the growing legions of esoteric Chinese DACs and their equally growing fan base, I sometimes wonder...

OTOH, I sometimes forget that the main reason for getting the Benchmark in the first place is for listening via speakers, not headphones, and the speakers are connected to a nice preamp with a remote (just no headphone jack).

Oh, I wonder as well, and I'm making no assumption that the DAC1 is better because it is more expensive. It's not just the Chinese that are messing with the price/performance equation, it's the rapid advance of technology. As I've said in other threads, I have a Panasonic all-digital class D HT receiver here - 7.1 X 100 watts, more ins/outs and processing options than you can imagine. I only use if for 2 channel in my speaker rig (in which case it employs two of the 100 watt amps per speaker, unless you have the connections to bi-amp or bi-wire, when it sends the power of two amps to each of the woofers and one to the tweeters). I paid $169.99, delivered to my door (they can still be found for around $200.

The digital amps were designed in Holland, then TI bought the company, they sell them to Panasonic, who uses them in receivers designed in Japan and manufactured in China...it boggles my little nationalistic mind. The end result? No one will call its output tubey or euphoric, but if your thing is neutral, delivered with stunning dynamics rising out of dead black silence with distortion levels that my dogs probably can't detect, it's one hell of a bargain. You have to put up with cheesy looks, a paper thin case and a user interface about as intuitive as a cell phone but man, the price/performance ratio is paradigm-challenging.

Yeah, I believe what I hear, not in where things are made or whose name is silk-screened on them.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back