Benchmark DAC1 now has step attenuators?
Mar 9, 2005 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Douglas256

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a second Benchmark DAC1 and it uses a step attenuator to control the volume on the headphone jacks (and XLR/RCA output on the back, when not set to calibrated). When did they switch from a pot to a step attenuator? Not that I'm complaining (as it sounds much better), but I am just surprised it doesn't mention it anywhere on their website or in their literature.

Mar 9, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 13
Though the volume control has steps, it is NOT a stepped attenuator (at least in the sense of using discrete resistors). It is a normal potentiometer integrated with a stepped like turning motion. You can confirm that it's a pot by stopping in between the clicks, and noticing that there is still sound. If that's not the case, then maybe they did slip a design change on us, though I'd love to see a stepped attenuator small enough to fit in there.

Mar 9, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 13
You are absolutely right . . . oh well, what a shame. Thanks for the info.

Mar 9, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yeah, with higher impedance phones, it's almost a non-issue. But those with really sensitive phones like the E5's may have an issue with channel matching/balance with the pot in the DAC1.

-Ed

Well I can only speak from personal experience, but I have had no such difficulties, even though the pot is pretty tiny, it seems to be fairly well matched, even at lower volumes.

Mar 9, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 13
I wish there was some teeny weeny stepped attenuators available. I thinkthe DACT is the smallest one I've seen that's decent.

I guess it would be really difficult to tell the difference between a DAC1 stock and a modded one with stepped attenuator.

And judging from our past experience, even with a switch box for real A/B, it will still be difficult to tell.

But, hey. There's other things to be modded inside the Benchmark, eh?
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Mar 9, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
If it's any consolation, the DAC1 (used as both DAC and headphone amp) still manages to sound slightly better than the 3x more costly Bel Canto DAC2/Grace m902 combo, even in spite of the pot.

Iron_Dreamer, by headphone amp do you mean XLR or headphone jack?

Mar 9, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 13
So basically the DAC 1 is a better sounding DAC than the bel canto one for you? Or are you referring rather to the amp section of the DAC 1 and the grace?

I only heard the DAC 2 for some time, and I was quite impressed by the result. In opposition I heard that the DAC 1 was rather analytical, unlike the warm bel canto, but that both would be on an equally decent sounding level.

Mar 9, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
If it's any consolation, the DAC1 (used as both DAC and headphone amp) still manages to sound slightly better than the 3x more costly Bel Canto DAC2/Grace m902 combo, even in spite of the pot.

It really is superb sounding.
cool.gif

This is why I have such a fondness for equipment from quality companies who's origins are of the pro world. Great performance without the quadruple price boost/audiophool tax. Of course you don't get the eye candy window dressing of pretty face plates or sexy curves. Just sound sweet enough to make you close your eyes.

Mar 9, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 13
Does the new Dac 1 still sound "much" better? I personally don't like psuedo-stepped analog pots...its like getting the disadvantages of both.

Also typically at what degree/angle does the pot in the Benchmark typically even out and match up, and how high is the gain on the headphone jack (or what degree would the volume be at for Grado at moderate volume)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back