Benchmark DAC1-HPA2 HeadAmp
Jun 1, 2003 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jphone

New Head-Fier
Benchmark has a combo DAC/Headphone Amp that got pretty good reviews.
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/digital/dac1/default.asp
The HPA-2 Headphone Amp picture and specs are below. It's available as standalone for (no PSU) for $150.
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/interf...a2/default.asp
I can easily identify the BB BUF634 but I can't say the same for the op-amps behind it. Anybody can help?
The following site has Semiconductor Logos to help you if your vision is not as impaired as mine.
http://www.elnec.com/iclogos.php

Jun 1, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 10
I was looking for this one after I read all the good reviews on DAC-1. $150 + box + supply is not too much effort to make one good amp.

Any ideas on ±15 volt supplies?

HPA2web.jpg

Aug 1, 2003 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 10
Does actually anybody has heard this one? It is really dirty cheap, and the sound was comapared with the Gilmore in another thread, is that good (even when I do not liked the Gilmore) but at about one third of the price....

Aug 1, 2003 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 10
I have spent an evening listening to this unit alone with a sony dvd player, via glass optical cable. I remarked on how amazing the sound was, but that may be noticing the DAC more then the headphone amp alone. I did say the headphone amp was good, I didn't say it was better or worse then the Gilmore (yet). I will have a better impression when I get the opportunity to test the DAC with the gilmore when my varial arrives. Many people myself included have remarked on how the amp is good, but I don't know how good, but I certainly won't assume anything : ]
That aside, the DAC is a deal, and an amazing piece of equipment. Had I known about it all along, I probably would have never gotten the gilmore in the first place (If that says anything).

Aug 1, 2003 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mjg
I have spent an evening listening to this unit alone with a sony dvd player, via glass optical cable. I remarked on how amazing the sound was, but that may be noticing the DAC more then the headphone amp alone. I did say the headphone amp was good, I didn't say it was better or worse then the Gilmore (yet). I will have a better impression when I get the opportunity to test the DAC with the gilmore when my varial arrives. Many people myself included have remarked on how the amp is good, but I don't know how good, but I certainly won't assume anything : ]
That aside, the DAC is a deal, and an amazing piece of equipment. Had I known about it all along, I probably would have never gotten the gilmore in the first place (If that says anything).

Please just keep us updated OK, I personally would like to give it a try, (being that cheap) but just if it is that good, I'm not in the possition of wasting money neither.....

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 10
Stereophile: Benchmark DAC1 USB D/A processor & headphone amplifier
"The headphone driver appears to be based on TI 5532 dual op-amp chips feeding Burr-Brown BUF634 unity-gain, open-loop buffers."

the reviewer goes on to say "My original Benchmark DAC1 has well-extended, well-defined lows, a natural midrange, and clean highs. But the newer Benchmark had smoother highs, with less grain. Considering the fact that the earlier version has identical DAC and output circuits—other than the use of Philips 5532 op-amps in the 2003 sample compared with Texas Instruments 5532s in the 2007 sample—it was hard to see why this should be the case. Still, it was a consistent factor in my auditioning of the two Benchmarks.

I have read elsewhere that the connections of the TI5532 are more robust perhaps ameliorating some of the harsh/thin/fatiguing sound of the original DAC1.

I wasn't expecting much plugging my GS1000s into the SE out of the DAC1 USB based on what I'd read about the older version, but was pleasantly surprised. I don't have experience with enough gear to say anything definitive, but more often than not I prefer the sound straight out of the benchmark over my Yamamoto HA-02.

Either my ears aren't that great or the high-current HPA2 is simply a better match for this Grado.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 10
Five year thread bump. >_______>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back