Benchmark DAC1 balanced output level?
May 2, 2008 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mcdj

New Head-Fier
I'm using a DAC1 via balanced out, into my Jeff Rowland preamp, with balanced inputs. First thing I noticed was that the output was lower thru the DAC1. So I checked out the screw pots on the back. I was a little perplexed that they seem to turn infinitely...I wonder how anyone can achieve proper balanced gain this way.

Then I tried variable output. Here I was a little put off that in order to match the volume coming from the RCA outs on my Apple TV, I had to bury the gain knob completely on the DAC1. And even then, the Apple TV was slightly louder. Makes it tricky to really compare the sound quality.

I went back to calibrated output. This time I turned both screws until I had silence. Then I turned them the opposite way until I heard no more increase in volume in either channel.

The sound is great, but am I doing something wrong? Should I really need to boost the output to the max? I'm wondering how the sound is not distorted. The output matches that of the fixed output on my LCD TV, so that switching between sources doesn't require a major change of the volume on my preamp. It just seems a little odd to me that I'd have to crank it up that far. I've read that I should be getting +5-6db via balanced XLRs over RCAs...it seems like I'm getting more like -5db.

I do notice FWIW that the calibrated output is slightly louder than the variable, when both are maxxed, even though I read they use the same pots.

May 2, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 4
IIRC the DAC1 ships on default with the XLR output attenuation set to -20dB. This can be changed by jumpers inside the chassis. Perhaps you need to set these to 0dB to get rid of the attenuation?

Edit: check the addendum in this review.

May 3, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 4
Oh bummer. Those trim pots are calibrated so both channels have the same output. Now you need special instruments to recalibrate the those trim pots to achieve the same output on both channel.

I played around with the trim pots one time, had to send them back to Benchmark to get them recalibrated (I didn't have the necessary instruments for recalibration).

May 3, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the link to the review. I moved the jumpers to 0db. Of course, because I had moved the trim pots to the max position, at 0db I got major distortion. For the time being I am using the front knob. I will probably get a voltage meter and recalibrate the rear pots myself.

*EDIT* Hmm. If I get a meter, where do I meter? At the speaker connections? Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back