Benchmark Dac1 as hp amp and as a DAC
May 6, 2004 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mike K

New Head-Fier
This unit has just come to my attention, and looks like it might be the answer
to all my prayers. How is it as an amp, and as a dac? Thanks for your input

May 7, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 9
as a dac it has been compared favorably to a sacd mods sony 555es, as an amp, it has been compared favoribly to a base ppa.

Though I own one, I haven't had a chance to do any serious side by side comparisons with other high end gear. I have compared it to other computer sources,(m-audio sonica and audiophile) as well as various mid-fi consumer cd players(eg sony 500v) and it soundly tromps all over them.

I am taking it to a mini-meet in june where I can do some in depth comparisons with other sources and amps, then I will be able to give better information.

As for general description the sound signature is a little on the bright side of nuetral but otherwise very excellent. The amp is a little lacking in the soundstage department and doesn't convey as much depth as my previous ppa.

May 7, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm not sure if you've read the Stereophile review of it? The review was very favourable for the DAC part and favourable for the headphone amp part.

The review was backed up by excellent measurements and head-to-head comparison with ML dac (ML was slightly better) and Blockhead headamp (blockhead slightly better). But for the price, there was no comparison.

John Atkinson (reviewer/tester for the unit) said it was going to be his recording session unit of choice from now on.

May 7, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 9
the DAC is among the best. just look at stereophile's measurements--the DAC measures better than many of the $10,000+ DACs they have tested in terms of jitter and noise and linearity. if measurements mean anything to you.

and this is the headphone section:
HPA2web.jpg

they sell the module itself for $150. hardly a reference level price. so, you can do the math yourself... if you add in a case and a power supply, maybe you get a headphone amp around $500 at most?

i dunno... it's a great DAC. but i don't see the headphone stuff emphasized at all in their pro ads. i'm pretty sure it ain't anywhere the level of the Grace 901.

the benchmark DAC is a little better than the Grace's, but it should be... the Grace doesn't even have line level outs, so it's DAC is specifically made just for convenience. but the Grace ain't far behind in that department... still measures better than the majority of stand-alone DACs out there.

...but just based on price and complexity, the Grace's headphone section should be far superior to the Benchmark.

May 7, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 9
is there any chance at all that someone could compare the benchmark's dac section to the AOS dacs that have recently started getting some attention.

CheersKunwar

May 7, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
raif:

Please bring yourself and your Benchmark DAC1 to the Mega SoCal meet.
biggrin.gif
I''m sure GPalmer and the gang could find somewhere they could squeeze you into the van.
wink.gif

-Ed

hmm.... I don't think I can turn down a direct request can I?

I will check it out and see if I can make it. Hopefully the van isn't full.

EDIT I don't think I can make it, I have to do my little graduation walk on Friday the 18th of June, so I am sure my family is going to have all sorts of get-togethers I am going to be obligated to.
frown.gif

That meet looked awesome though.

May 8, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 9
If you're not too picky, the amp in it is just fine. Most people in the world would just love it. However, in Head-Fi land, it's just not as nice as some of the dedicated amps I've tried. I'm hardcore, so its just not quite worthy. However, if you can live with just a little less, its a great combo for the munny. If you go optical, by all means get a glass toslink cable. If you go RCA/BNC, please buy my Blue Jeans Belden cable. It's been sitting here since I last had the DAC1 and it'll never get used again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back