Benchmark DAC-1: The all-in-one solution?
Jul 27, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
That level of detail definitely translates into an enriching musical experience for some, but not necessarily for people seeking more...(what's the word here?)...euphonic listening.

Or you could hook up a tube amp and get all the euphony you want, no? I think it does the job of digital-to-analog conversion as well as I've heard, leaving people with a good foundation from which to color their sound (or not) however they might choose. Of course, some will always disagree, so to each his own.

Jul 27, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #47 of 58
Remember, some of us hold that it is all about listening to your music, not analyzing your music.
icon10.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Remember, some of us hold that it is all about listening to your music, not analyzing your music.
icon10.gif

Of course, if I were into "analyzing" the music so much, why on earth would I listen to mainly heavy metal? Nothing about having the cleanest analog signal possible procludes someone from rocking out.

Jul 27, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

icon10.gif

yep, same here and that is why I have bought it.
It should be arriving soon
can't wait to set it up with the Talisman T-3H,
I am also going a bit on Iron Dreamer's comments as well, his description of Chaintech was exactly what I heard.
So I guess I am in for a treat .
BTW when you mentioned the Head amp section being a notch below the Grace 901 or say the HR2, Can you describe it in qualitative terms on some tracks that you have heard?
That would help a bit.

cheers
Kunwar

Jul 27, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Mainly in the control of bass.

so that is throught the headphone out.
Let's see if i enjoy the signature on the DAC
I also have managed to find someone who has a sample of the Grace 901.
So I can go for some listening sessions.
BTW the price on that one was a crazy $AU 2600.
I spent a hell of a lot less getting the DAC1.
I think my setup is complete.

FLAC -> Chaintech AV710 (Optical Out) -> Sound Professionals Glass Toslink digital cable 1.5 M -> Benchmark DAC1 -> Talisman T-3H -> Alessandro MS Pro

Boy I can't wait to listen to it.

Jul 28, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #54 of 58
Iron Dreamer- I'd have to agree that I like the idea of having an extremely clean, detailed, colorless source so that I can shape the sound to my liking after the fact with an external amp. The built-in headphone section on the DAC-1 sounds good enough to hold me over until I decide what amp to go with.

So I've posted a WTB on audiogon. I've got my eye out for used DAC-1s now. What do you guys think is a reasonable price? Anyhow, we'll see what happens. Keep the opinions on the DAC-1 coming.

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Makes sense to me, as the Grace has some of the tightest bass I've heard. I guess I'd have to have one to compare with for the DAC1's bass to seemingly lack tightness, though.

We're gonna have a mini meet when you come back to town.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #56 of 58
hella,

try to get the older DAC1, and look for a good deal around 750.

I think it's silly they are charging 1000 now. I guess it seems people are eager enough to pay though.

I sold mine for 850 including a signal cable digital cable and power cord.
They actually originally sold for 750. Prices just keep getting hiked up.

Jul 28, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
hella,

try to get the older DAC1, and look for a good deal around 750.

I think it's silly they are charging 1000 now. I guess it seems people are eager enough to pay though.

I sold mine for 850 including a signal cable digital cable and power cord.
They actually originally sold for 750. Prices just keep getting hiked up.

Thanks for the heads up mjg. The Benchmark rep said the old models were a steal because they can be upgraded for about 50 bucks. I'll definitely pick one up and have it upgraded if I can find a seller.

Jul 28, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by hella
Iron Dreamer- I'd have to agree that I like the idea of having an extremely clean, detailed, colorless source so that I can shape the sound to my liking after the fact with an external amp. The built-in headphone section on the DAC-1 sounds good enough to hold me over until I decide what amp to go with.

That is what I figured, I'd use the internal headphone amp until I can afford a Stealth, Supra, Stax, something of that variety.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hella
So I've posted a WTB on audiogon. I've got my eye out for used DAC-1s now. What do you guys think is a reasonable price? Anyhow, we'll see what happens. Keep the opinions on the DAC-1 coming.

FWIW I paid $750+shipping for mine, it came in like-new condition, and it is the newer, 192kHz capable model. I only got that price because it had been on Audiogon for 2.5weeks at $850, and I sent the guy a lowball off, which he accepted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwood
We're gonna have a mini meet when you come back to town.

Of course, what would have possibly made you think otherwise
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back