Benchmark DAC-1 ,E-MU 0404, Foobar settings
Sep 25, 2004 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Captain

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

Could any body tell me if my Foobar setting are right. I have just recently got a Benchmark DAC-1. I am using it with a E-MU 0404. I have left it on the setting that I used before I got the DAC, just plugging the card into the Amp. At the moment I am using the ASIO plug in. My target sample rate is 96000, and I am using 24bit fixed-point padded to 32bit. I have plugged the DAC in to the card with a Glass Toslink Optical cable. Also how does this all come to play with E-MU's patch mix?

Just thinking that things may now have to be set up differently as this is a totally different set up.

Thanks in advance

Cap

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 19
Since that DAC resamples anyways I'm not sure if there are any advantages to resampling in foobar first up to 96000. I don't have a lot of experience with external DACs though so maybe someone with a little more knowledge in that area can chime in about that. The EMU session basically controls the soud card and tells it where to route audio. The EMU session would just need to be setup as a 96k type session that routes the internal ASIO signal (coming from Foobar) to the SPDIF/Optical output. You could also setup a WDM->SPDIF session for basic windows audio, games, kernal streaming, etc. If you chose not to upsample in Foobar you would setup a similar EMU session only with 44.1k instead of 96. Nice setup by the way. You will have to post some impressions once you have had some time on it.

Sep 26, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
I think that the moderators should move this to the computers as source forum.

Sorry about that ment to put it in that section my self, not looking what I was doing.

Cap

Sep 26, 2004 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 19
i'm using an external DAC too, and my foobar settings are 16bit/44,1khz.
I just let foobar act as transport and leave the upsampling stuff to the DAC.

Sep 26, 2004 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 19
So is any of these the right option. Should I have output 32bit fixed-Point in the Play Back window in Foobar, and in the resample I should have 44100. Then (which is the only option I have with these foobar setting) is a 44.1KHz in E-MU Patchmix session.

Or or should I put the Target sample rate to 96000 and with a 32bit fixed point in playback and open up a 96k season in E-MU Patchmix.

Boy am I confused
confused.gif

Thanks

Cap

Sep 26, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 19
You should be using 24-bit fixed padded to 32-bit as you get more resolution out of lossy files however resampling to 96KHz or not is less important (try it both ways and see which you like better).

Sep 26, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 19
I would definetly leave it at 44.1khz, afterall, you paid good money for a dac that can re-sample, the foobar plugin will not do it as well.

BTW: What do you think of the DAC1? Worthwhile upgrade?

Sep 26, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
BTW: What do you think of the DAC1? Worthwhile upgrade?

Pretty blown away
basshead.gif
, it's as good people say it is. Lots of slam, crisp detail and the separation is incredible. Can't stop listing to music.

Thanks for all the help.

Cap

Sep 26, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain
Pretty blown away
basshead.gif
, it's as good people say it is. Lots of slam, crisp detail and the separation is incredible. Can't stop listing to music.

Thanks for all the help.

Cap

So you think it was a worthwhile upgrade from the 0404? You using the headphone out from it ? Did you use a amp before?

I'm thinking of picking one of these up as my next upgrade too [wallet crying in a corner]
600smile.gif

Sep 26, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
So you think it was a worthwhile upgrade from the 0404

Defiantly worth the up grade. I was using WNA amp before plugged into the card. The amp really helped the card along, and is a excellent combo with the DAC. I brought the Benchmark for £450 from a guy in Taiwan which is a good price as new in the UK are double that.

If you can afford it you wont be disappointed.

Cap

Sep 26, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
So you have it set up OK now?

Yes I think so I have 24-bit fixed padded to 32-bit, resampling at 44.1KHz and E-MU Mix patchmix with a ASIO 48KHz session. I would appreciate a conformation if that's OK.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Cap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back