Benaroya Hall, Seattle
Dec 21, 2004 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JohnFerrier

1000+ Head-Fier
While shopping downtown this weekend, I made a point of purchasing a CD recorded a Seattle's relatively new Benaroya Hall. I've attended a couple of performances in the Seattle Symphony's new home and wished to hear how a recording compared to my favorite sounding concert hall--Cleveland's Masonic Auditorium.

I was surprised. The acoustics, to my ears, are very live sounding. I would say that the acoustics are better than a lot of my classical CDs (expect the Masonic--which probably colors the sound a bit with extra reverberation...).

Kudos to the recording engineers for capturing the sound. The back of the jewel case indicates the use of Lavry Engineering AD122 Gold Series converters. I wonder what other hardware was used in the recording process...

Apparently, this is the Seattle Symphony's first Benaroya release, Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1 and Symphony No. 6. While Shostakovich isn't my favorite, the violin (played by Elmar Oliveira) has very lively presence. The orchesta it's self seemed well spread out (soundstage?). Both surprises to me.

Here is CD info with samples (personally, dislike the cover, but again the sound is very good):
Seattle Symphony, Shostakovich (ARTEK Recordings)

Benaroya Hall
04.benaroya.hall.jpg

credit: CNN

-

If there are any Pearl Jam fans, there is also a CD of the band recorded at Benaroya Hall. (Personally, I much prefered Nirvana and am still sad about the loss of Kurt...)

Pearl Jam, "Live at Benaroya Hall" (Amazon)

---

And again, *really* looking forward to a recording of the Los Angeles Philharmonic at the, even newer, Walt Disney Concert Hall. (Attended a wonderful performance of the touring Esa-Pekka and LA orchesta here at Benaroya...)

JF

Dec 21, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 7
I have that Pearl Jam album, it's excellent. This thread has me searching for more music recorded at Benaroya Hall
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 7
Benaroya Hall is definately a show place and a spectacular venue for music. I have not attended a concert there, or heard any of the recordings made there yet. On one of my last trips to Seattle I took the guided tour, and was very impressed with the hall.

- augustwest

Dec 29, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 7
I got my copy of the Shostakovich CD in the mail yesterday and I played it in my car to and from work today. The recording quality is first rate, very natural sounding although the soloist sometimes sounds larger than life. The performance is also first rate. I have about 20 recordings of this VC and I would probably put this one in the top five or so. If anyone out there is a Shostakovich VC 1 fanatic like I am this is one you will want to have.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back