Ben Roethlisberger is an Idiot...
Jun 13, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #31 of 59
Is he an "Idiot"? I think not - He has negotiated his life to a very high level - making Millions with his efforts...are you, OP, in that spot?

Is he an "Idiot" to have been in good shape all his adult life? - I think not.

I'll bet you label "idiots" those who have Wendy's triple burgers with fries...

I'll bet you call anyone who drives faster than you do is an "idiot".

I'll bet that you have many other classes of "Idiot" in your world.

I worked on Cranes and Ships, in fair weather and foul, climbing on high steel, working with 22KVAC, 4160VAC, 500VDC, 440VAC, 220VAC, 110VAC, and low voltages, used welding and cutting torches, electric welders, generators, Large motors (four stories from crankcase to cylinder heads) while they were running, making 45,000 horsepower, repaired power panels while they were energized, Steam plants making 120,000 horsepower, and have crawled into and out of tanks, boilers, engines, compressors and so on, for over 29 years - it wasn't so dangerous that it makes me an 'idiot, was it?

I have learnt about explosives with "hands-on" experiments in my youth, making and exploding them many times in years past - does that make me an "Idiot"? I think not.

I am a certified SCUBA diver, since the 1970's - does that make me an "Idiot"? It was so dangerous then, that insurance companies would not offer life insurance if you were a diver. I don't think I am an "Idiot' for doing that.

I rode motorcycles for twenty years, over 250,000 miles, sometimes without a helmet - does that make me an "Idiot"? Insurance companies again felt that it was a dangerous activity, and didn't offer life insurance back then.

I learned to fly and bought and maintained my own plane for quite a long time, going wherever and whenever I fancied - does that make me an "Idiot"? I took my wife and daughter, and friends, too. Once again, life insurance companies didn't offer insurance for those who were private pilots.

I'll bet that the only people you judge not "Idiots' are those who are boringly just like you, who hardly live, never smoke, never have a burger, never an alcoholic drink, never eat sushi, never have their beef rare, never have had real caesar dressing, never turn their mains-powered stereo/TV/radio/appliances on when there is thunder, never go skinny dipping, never talk to strangers, never eat at new restaurants, never ...

Anyway, my point is: each person makes decisions that belong to them. If/when they run into unforseen situations, whether of their own or other's making, and are killed/injured, it was their choice. I refuse to allow you or anybody to make choices for me. I will happily allow you the same freedom. Anything less is "thought control", and is abhorrent to anyone not a "sheeple".

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #32 of 59
You're trying to put words in my mouth. I don't live a boring life at all, nor would I call riding a motorcycle with a helmet a bore. If you think it is fine to ride a motorcycle without a helmet so be it. My opinion is that he is an idiot for doing so. I hope that if you continue to ride without one that nothing happens to you. Would you also drive without your seatbelt? Would you allow your children to ride a motorcycle without a helmet? or witness you doing so? I don't think that sets a very good example but I don't have kids yet so maybe I shouldn't comment.

I also don't think that you can couple SCUBA diving, flying a plane, or your work with cranes in the same catagory as riding without a helmet...did you not take all the proper safety precautions doing all those things?

To each his own, it's your call on what you do with your life...but don't assume to know me, or attempt to pass me off as boring when you know nothing of me...

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #33 of 59
Jun 13, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #35 of 59
The announcer covering the France-Switz. soccer match just claimed that Roethlisberger wasn't even licensed to ride a motorcycle in Pennsylvania.

Jun 13, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #37 of 59
Please refrain from name calling and personal attacks. It is not appropriate to call someone an idiot in real life why would you think it is acceptable here?

Jun 13, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
Please refrain from name calling and personal attacks. It is not appropriate to call someone an idiot in real life why would you think it is acceptable here?

Noted, and my apologies for offending anyone. It wasn't meant as a personal attack. I was merely answering his questions as to what situations would potentially make someone an "idiot". That is what this thread was about/is titled.

Jun 13, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #40 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
Is he an "Idiot"? I think not - He has negotiated his life to a very high level - making Millions with his efforts...are you, OP, in that spot?

I worked on Cranes and Ships, in fair weather and foul, climbing on high steel, working with 22KVAC, 4160VAC, 500VDC, 440VAC, 220VAC, 110VAC, and low voltages, used welding and cutting torches, electric welders, generators, Large motors (four stories from crankcase to cylinder heads) while they were running, making 45,000 horsepower, repaired power panels while they were energized, Steam plants making 120,000 horsepower, and have crawled into and out of tanks, boilers, engines, compressors and so on, for over 29 years - it wasn't so dangerous that it makes me an 'idiot, was it?

I have learnt about explosives with "hands-on" experiments in my youth, making and exploding them many times in years past - does that make me an "Idiot"? I think not.

I am a certified SCUBA diver, since the 1970's - does that make me an "Idiot"? It was so dangerous then, that insurance companies would not offer life insurance if you were a diver. I don't think I am an "Idiot' for doing that.

I rode motorcycles for twenty years, over 250,000 miles, sometimes without a helmet - does that make me an "Idiot"? Insurance companies again felt that it was a dangerous activity, and didn't offer life insurance back then.

I learned to fly and bought and maintained my own plane for quite a long time, going wherever and whenever I fancied - does that make me an "Idiot"? I took my wife and daughter, and friends, too. Once again, life insurance companies didn't offer insurance for those who were private pilots.

I'll bet that the only people you judge not "Idiots' are those who are boringly just like you, who hardly live, never smoke, never have a burger, never an alcoholic drink, never eat sushi, never have their beef rare, never have had real caesar dressing, never turn their mains-powered stereo/TV/radio/appliances on when there is thunder, never go skinny dipping, never talk to strangers, never eat at new restaurants, never ...

Anyway, my point is: each person makes decisions that belong to them. If/when they run into unforseen situations, whether of their own or other's making, and are killed/injured, it was their choice. I refuse to allow you or anybody to make choices for me. I will happily allow you the same freedom. Anything less is "thought control", and is abhorrent to anyone not a "sheeple".

This gets my vote for most pompous post of the year.

MJ

Jun 13, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy

Uhh...lots of I, I, I, and me, and I, I, I. Lost count at 13 uses of the word I...not very interesting to read, nor is it very neutral, & am not seeing the coorelation you are trying to make..

To Ben R..hope you are doing better..

Jun 14, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #43 of 59
In order not to make it a personal attack, this writer avoided using "you you,you", in order to list things that are sometimes, (by somebody out there) considered "dangerous" - was not pompous in intent, just showing that name calling was relative to OP's opinion, not to the active person. Whatever.

Yep, I am gratified that he is not as damaged as the news media wanted to make it seem when the story first was reported, and that he is on the mend.

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #44 of 59
I'm sorry, but I can't get past the huge irony of him wearing a helmet during a game of contact sport where he might fall and his hit head on a field of grass, but not wearing one when he is travelling at speeds of at least 50 MPH...on pavement...with cars travelling at least as fast as he is....with no airbags or metal doors or roof or seatbelt to protect him.

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
I'm sorry, but I can't get past the huge irony of him wearing a helmet during a game of contact sport where he might fall and his hit head on a field of grass, but not wearing one when he is travelling at speeds of at least 50 MPH...on pavement...with cars travelling at least as fast as he is....with no airbags or metal doors or roof or seatbelt to protect him.

How about another human's helmet running at 15 m.p.h. towards him, with the intention of breaking every bone in his body?

Clearly, Big Ben has plenty of risks. Riding motorcycles is one of them, and I'm sure now he's learned to further reduce that risk by wearing a helmet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back