Below 500$, upgrading the srh940 (closed headphoone)
May 6, 2015 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

extrabigmehdi

Headphoneus Supremus
hi,
the headband of my srh940 has cracked, and I'm looking for something better in built quality , and that keeps some "aspect" of the srh940 sounds.

What I really liked on the srh940, is a bit some "aggresivity" on the  sound, which seems perfect for some fast-paced psytrance (or electronic music if you prefer). I like a slightly harsh treble, without being too exaggerated. The srh940 is at stock a bit more "harsh" than I'd like (because I modded them). The srh940 is a bit lacking on the bass though.

The srh1540 looks like a "natural" upgrade. But I'm afraid it's a complete departure from the original srh940 sound. When I look at the graphs the  bass seem bloated . Also honestly I don't care too much of the accessories (except the box) , my srh940 broke a long time before I feel the need to replace the pads or the cable. And why there's two times the same cable, that's stupid, I prefer a coiled one. Is this worth 500$, when according to tyll at innerfidelity the nad viso hp50 or focal spirit pro have similar "sound  signature". (But the srh1540 seems to have a more premium "look & feel")

I'm looking for a closed headphone, because I use them with a pc that is a bit noisy. I like also that the headphone can easily be carried, when I travel from one town to an other. Currently I listen to a lot of ambient dub techno, and nature recording (while programming). But I'd like to from time to time  "wow"  my ears with some industrial metal , some psytrance, or   just some pleasing chillout (example: buddah bar). I guess what I call "wow" , is some great clarity, details , nice timbre, and fast impacting bass.

Here are succinct impression with other headphones I have. This might help you to get an idea to what I like:
- hd800 , I love them mostly with nature recordings. Very wide, 3D and clean sound. Probably they are not "properly amped" according to the "head-fi standards", but I stopped to care for miscellaneous reason. I realized, anyways, that in a slightly noisy room I couldn't enjoy the hd800 at best. (don't even think running some air conditioning when it's hot). I miss on the hd800 a bit some agressivity,  and I was finding the treble a bit overly smooth. Otherwise 5/5 with "nature sound" recordings (great, for classical too, that I listen rarely).

- hd595, fine for 1 hour of music listening, I realize soon or later that I'm getting bored. They look weak  in the sound quality compared to the hd800, but also to the much cheaper srh940.  While they sound "ok" with lot of music, I miss from times to time a "wow" factor.

- hd25-1, I originally bought them, hoping they would work well with techno, that was a mistake. They suck if I focus on "bass centered" genres.  Bass is too much "single note", and not very textured. However if I vary musical genre, they are not that bad, and perhaps less boring than the hd595.  I miss clarity, and level of details of srh940.  I enjoy their isolation, and learned with time to cope with the below average comfort.

- sony mdr xb 500: I'd say they remain fun for 10 minutes while I listen to techno, then I get tired and bored by the bass. I use them at bed to look film from my tablet, and for this they are great.

Oh, and by the way, my source is a xonar stx.

Any advice ?
thanks

May 7, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 2
All right , I  already commanded my srh1540. Enough hesitations.
I  guess there's not so much good closed headphones, at this price.
I  hope they sound as awesome as they look.
The shure blogs says they are not an upgrade in sound quality (they are actually less accurate) , but if they are more  enjoyable ,  I'd be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back