Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Mar 29, 2002 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mr_Happy

100+ Head-Fier
I just got this album a few days ago and can't stop listening to it. It's mostly acoustic pop with catchy hooks and sometimes odd lyrics. Sort of like a mix of the Smiths with Simon and Garfunkel with a dash of Burt Bacharach.

Mar 29, 2002 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 11
it's an amazing album. one of my favorite nineties albums (and B&S best IMO).

they have released 4 albums and 7 eps so far and I think they will release a fifth album pretty soon...

Mar 29, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 11
Boy with the Arab Strap is even better. Why do they let the untalented ones sing and write songs? There are always 2-3 lame songs by the other members of the band that never compare to the normal lead singer's.

Also, check out Nick Drake. He's who B&S are heavily influenced by.

markl

Mar 30, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 11
All the B&S albums are 'worth a detour' as they say. Sure, they are self-indulgent but every album has a couple of magic tracks. Arab Strap just happens to have more.
The Lazy Jane collection is typical. The tracks range from the truly sublime to the utterly awful.
Mostly
tongue.gif

crk

Apr 25, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 11
i love belle & sebastian.. i dont think theyre overrated..

my favorite album is arab strap

i love arab strap the band as well..

but tigermilk and sinister are also very good..

saw super furry animals tonight they were awesome.. i see B&S in 12 days im pleased.. gnight.

Apr 25, 2002 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 11
Yeah, Belle and Sebastian are rather good. I tend to prefer their earlier stuff, especially the first three EP's, they're just so... erm, corny and down-to-earth! Incidentally, there are a couple of off-shoots from B&S which you might enjoy, called Looper, and the Gentle Waves. The former is sort of electronica, and the latter is really mellow breathy girly vocals with lovely naff accompaniments. Will not appeal to everyone!

I saw B&S live at Christmas time in Belfast, and while they were OK, their support band the Frames absolutely rocked! Dunno if they're supporting still.
Andrew

Apr 25, 2002 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 11
I don't care if they are truly good or not, their music is definitely some of the most fun and enjoyable music I have listened to in a long time. Keeps me happy when things get rough in the office.

Apr 25, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 11
i have tickets for roseland on the 6th! i can't wait! but as for tomorrow night.. guster!

boy with the arab strap is an awesome album too, i'd check that out after liking sinister so much.

Apr 25, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 11
I thought Sinister was a good album, but I felt there was something missing.

Then I heard Tigermilk...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #11 of 11
grinch u mean hammerstein ballroom :] im gonna be there on the sixth..
im gonna pick up my doves/elbow tickets as well

uhm as for gentle waves.. gentle waves is pretty much isobel campbells solo project.. she has a couple band members play on albums and live sometimes.. but if u love isobel you'll love the gentle waves..

definitely check out reindeer section its a supergroup consisting of members from belle & sebastian, arab strap, mogwai, snow patrol

i like snow patrol theyre good.. i like mogwai as well but mogwai and belle & sebastian are worlds apart.. and arab strap i guess is described as post modern folk? i love them but theyre definitely definitely on another planet..

looper is like if b&s were stuck on electronic rennaisance
tongue.gif

i cant wait for the storytelling soundtrack it should be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back