Believe the hype.Sony D-25s is as good as claimed
Jan 22, 2002 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
Much has been written here about this Cd player, including poetry.I tend to fly on the side of skepticism.I trust you guys and the player was cheap enough, so I bought one.I was not disappointed.Although I hesitate to call it portable,it is a fine compact player and cannot be beat at the price in terms of sound quality.The headphone jack is the best I have ever heard on a compact and the line-out is right up there with the very best.I wouldn't call it portable only because of the skipping.You can't even touch this player while it is playing.I was lucky enough to have a wall wart lying aound that had the correct specs and plug size(from an old Lucent phone)and was able to play it right after it arrived Friday.The statements indicating compatablity with a wide variety of phones is most true.The player sounds very good with Senns as well as Grados.I opened a fresh set of AKG to try out and they sounded great too.This player is a real find.I will order a few more.thanks Russ

Jan 22, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 16
Agreed.
It would be a good idea to stock some of these for your store roller. This player is an awesome compact cd player that can be lugged around when traveling. I've been using it a lot, mostly at school.
I want the original version too.

Jan 22, 2002 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Although I hesitate to call it portable,it is a fine compact player and cannot be beat at the price in terms of sound quality.The headphone jack is the best I have ever heard on a compact and the line-out is right up there with the very best. I wouldn't call it portable only because of the skipping.You can't even touch this player while it is playing.

I guess I am one of the first people to apply any tweaks to this player. While I still wouldn't call it portable, I was able to get mine to resist shock to a much greater degree. I have my D-25S setting on the top pull-out shelf of an old desk (pre-computer desk era). I had a slab of some type of stone (marble I think) laying around that is 5"x 5"x 1/2", and got to thinking. I decided to make a vibration dampening shelf for the D-25S. I got a sheet of Sorbothane from Audio Advisor for the top (adhesive on one side), and some Bright Star small Isonode feet (similar material to sorbothane) for the bottom. Probably overkill to spend $33. on vibration dampening for a $45 PCDP, but it really seems to help. Another benefit, the tacky nature of sorbothane helps the player and shelf stick to the desk, and it doesn't get knocked off accidentally anymore.

-Keith

Jan 22, 2002 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 16
Lol, since I lug mine around, I use carpeted MDF box with ring foam padding that I built for my old pcdp. Doesn't skip from bumps to table or box, but obviously will still stutter if someone bops it on the head(with lid open).

Jan 22, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 16
I'm glad so many people have benefitted from my review. It's nice to get some validation that I'm not totally crazy -- I was a little nervous before posting the review that people would think I'm nuts, touting a 12 year old design that can be found for $45 as sounding so good. Personally, I'm still extremely impressed with the D-25's sound -- the shine has not worn off the apple.

Note that I'm not hyping the D-25 as the greatest portable ever -- but it IS the best-sounding portable I've owned.

Jan 22, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 16
Every time I see these D-25s posts I get sick to my stomach. I gave my old one away to my maid years ago.

<hangs head in shame>

Jan 22, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by HeadWired
Every time I see these D-25s posts I get sick to my stomach. I gave my old one away to my maid years ago.

<hangs head in shame>

at giving it way, or having a maid
evil_smiley.gif

toodles,
robert
(effete eastern intellectual
cool.gif
)

Jan 23, 2002 at 3:46 AM Post #14 of 16
hehe right now i'm very happy /w my Panasonic SL-CT570 (just arrived today)

but.....damnit. All these comments........hehe makes me wonder about the 25S. Still, I guess the lack of shock protection + the fact that I have to buy the battery will just have to postpone my buy on this item....

Jan 23, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

but.....damnit. All these comments........hehe makes me wonder about the 25S. Still, I guess the lack of shock protection + the fact that I have to buy the battery will just have to postpone my buy on this item....

It sounds great but I regret getting the Sony battery. It doesn't really last long and the sound suffers when the juice is dying. Get a cheap walwart for it and you will have a great sounding player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back