Bela Fleck
Jun 12, 2007 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ex0du5

500+ Head-Fier
Heard them this semester through a friend.

What kind of music would this be? They seem to be some sort of wierd, melodic jazz. I normally hate groovy jazz or anything like Diana Krall, but Bela Fleck is just awesome.

Anyone listen to em?

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 12
I have 2 albums. I bought Left of Cool on a whim. It's OK, but it's never really grabbed me. I've checked out others from the library that I like more but I've not purchased. I can't think of what they are off the top of my head.

I also have Perpetual Motion which is classical crossover. It's Fleck and Edgar Meyers on bass playing transcriptions of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc. I really like this album, but it's completely different that the jazz albums.

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of music would this be?

Progressive Bluegrass. I'm only a little bit familiar with Bela Fleck but I've been a fan of some other bands in the genre. David Grisman and Jerry Garcia made some albums that are along the lines of progressive bluegrass. There's a band from the 60's I like called the Charles River Valley Boys that were making some progressive stuff for their time. They did a Beatles album cover and had one of their own that mixed traditional bluegrass with some progressive songs.

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 12
if you ever get the chance to see bela fleck live...do it. i went to a show of theirs a couple of years ago expecting to watch several talented musicians play some music, but their showmanship is phenomenal. it was a superb show. so if you even somewhat like their music you would love them live.

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 12
Bela Fleck's style is all over the place:

The Tales from the Acoustic Planet series -- modern bluegrass
The Fleckstones -- jazz fusion
Little Worlds -- world-music fusion (not terribly arresting though)
He also does classical music from time to time.

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 12
"Live Art" is terrific. The band smokes in the live setting. The latest "Hidden Land" is also terrific and I believe won a grammy.

Bassist Victor Wooten is regarded by most as the best bassist in the world and this is certainly a 21st century band. Can't be labeled or pigeon holed. They are unique and every regard. Top-notch musicians....

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 12
I don't have anything by him, but my dad has all his CDs. From what I've heard, he's awesome.
I saw a live dvd with him on that my dad has. All the people playing with him were just ridiculously good. I'm going to have to dig out some of his CDs.

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on Flight of the Blue Hippo. Also check out Three Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Fun Stuff.

X3.
Also check out Outbound, another favorite of mine.
I saw them live & they were awesome.
The DVD "Live at the Quick" is a good one too with lots of guest performers.

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 12
With the Flecktones, Bela Fleck put on one the best live shows I have ever seen. Victor Wooten is insanely talented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back