Bela Bartok, I need a recomendation
Sep 14, 2006 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

aaroncort

Banned
I really enjoy Bartok's work but am getting bured out on him for the time being. Can anybody recomend another composer that has a similar feel? Thanks, Aaron.

P.S. perhaps a recomendation of some great recordings of any of bartoks work could help too.

Sep 14, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 20
I suggest starting with his piano concertos, where his folk-music roots and his avant-garde tendency stand wonderfully side-by-side. The best version I've heard is Zoltan Kocsis/Ivan Fischer/Budapest Festival Orchestra

Ivan Fischer is an expert in Bartok's orchestral work, and you can't go wrong with him. Philips has just release a 3-CD collection which I'd very much love to have.

Next, go for his 44 violin duos: wonderfully crafted minatures based on folk music.

His string quartets are, of course, widely revered, but at the same time these are regarded as "difficult music". See if you're up to the challenge. Most people recommend the version by the Takács Quartet, but there are many excellent budget-priced choices (Novak Quartet, Alban Berg Quartette, etc)

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
I really enjoy Bartok's work but am getting bured out on him for the time being. Can anybody recomend another composer that has a similar feel? Thanks, Aaron.

P.S. perhaps a recomendation of some great recordings of any of bartoks work could help too.

About specific recordings -- I can't do that from work, but I can recommend some works: As Falconp has said, there are the string quartets. I also love the 44 violin duos. He scored two pianos and percussion both as chamber and orchestral, both are excellent. There is a sonata for solo violin.

As for composers with a similar feel, Janacek and Kodaly come immediately to mind. So does Shostokovich, at least with respect to chamber music and some of the folk-inspired works. Perhaps also Prokofiev or Lutoslawski.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
His string quartets are, of course, widely revered, but at the same time these are regarded as "difficult music". See if you're up to the challenge. Most people recommend the version by the Takács Quartet, but there are many excellent budget-priced choices (Novak Quartet, Alban Berg Quartette, etc)

His string quartets are by leaps and bounds my favorite of his works. The only recording I have of his sting quartets are some records I found at the goodwill a number of years ago for 29 cents. They didn't have any packaging so I have no idea who the preformers are. I'll be sure to check out those names for sure. Thanks, aaron.

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd
If you like Bartok's string quartets you should try Ligeti's 1st string quartet.

Yes, I had thought about that recommendation as well. But I think Ligeti truly starts to get into the post-War phase, and is stronget stuff. One of the reasons I've always loved the Bartok cycle is that, on the one hand, it seemed rooted in early 20th Century composition (with that element of folk music built in), but also opened the door to the whole post-War movement.

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Have you heard Schoenberg's srting quartets (especially the second)? You might really like that.

Sep 15, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Have you heard Schoenberg's srting quartets (especially the second)? You might really like that.

Yes I have and yes I do really love his string quartets.

On a side note I really wish there were binaural recodings of some of these works. It makes me want to get a recording dummy head and pull some sort of highjinks sneaking the dummyhead in ala looneytoons. I'd put the dummyhead on top of my own and have a extra long trenchcoat over it.

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Yes I have and yes I do really love his string quartets.

On a side note I really wish there were binaural recodings of some of these works. It makes me want to get a recording dummy head and pull some sort of highjinks sneaking the dummyhead in ala looneytoons. I'd put the dummyhead on top of my own and have a extra long trenchcoat over it.

Just mount the mics on your own ears or glasses.

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie
Just mount the mics on your own ears or glasses.

That's acutally not too bad an idea. I beleive i actually have a compatable portable recorder compatable with condeser mics. That would be a riot if i actually pulled it off, with out getting arrested of course.

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Can anybody recomend another composer that has a similar feel?

No one quite compares, but Zoltan Kodaly, Bohuslav Martinu, Leos Janacek and Benjamin Britten would be good starting points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back