Bel Canto2 Vs Rakk dac ??
Nov 18, 2005 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Exileru

New Head-Fier
Im planning to buy a new dac for my system and i narrow down Bel Canto 2 and Rakk dac. I have read a lot good reviews about Bel Canto 2 but i cant find any review about Rakk dac. Im really interesting in those two dacs. Could someone give me some suggestions or a review about Rakk dac? Thanks.

Nov 19, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 7
I borrowed a Rakk Dac in it most basic (cheapest) form, with the passive output and with out the reclocking board.

I compared it to a Esound E5 cd player that I recently purchased and a Jolida JD100 w/ NOS 5751 GE's.

I had it in my system for a few months and got accustomed to it's sound. It is probably the best sounding dac out these for the $$$.

It trumped the Jolida which was too forward and less detailed; natural.

Compared to the ESound which is suppose to be one of the best CD players for the money. The Rakk Dac was a little fuller in the lower mids and slightly less extended on top. I'd have to say the Rakk Dac was a litlle more romantic sounding in a pleasant natural way - not a colored way.

The Esound was more extended or slighlt brighter on top and with less midrange bloom. You could say the Rakk was more tubey sounding and the Esound sounds more solid state. They are both excellent.
I think it would come down to system preference. I had to give the Rakk dac back recently. For acoustic music I think the Rakk Dac sounded better. A little more nuance. The Esound sounds better on electric music a little more drive to it. They both have excellent pace.

I haven't heard the Bel Canto - I 've read it is also very good. I don't think you would not be dissapointed with the Rakk Dac. I am very hard to please. I play piano professionally and the Rakk Dac definitely did the lower midrange of the piano better. The Rakk Dac is not that well know - yet. I have read that someone campred the Rakk Dac to Musical Fidelity's TriVista tubed Dac. That person liked the Rakk Dac better. I believe the TriVista is rated Class "A" in Stereophile. When I listened to it I relaxed and enjoyed. I;d bet you can't do better for the money. Let me know what you end up with. What is the rest of your system currently and what do you listen to?
- Jeff

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for your reply.I can only buy one of them. So i really need to be carefully make my decision. And i really i cant build Rakk by myself. I hope they offer pre assemble.

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Interestingly, the new VDA2 uses the same input reciever and dac chip, it also has a discrete output stage, I bet they sound very similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back