Bel Canto USB Link - anyone tried it?
May 25, 2009 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

krisno

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys

Have any one of you tried the Bel Canto USB Link? There are some mixed reviews out there, so I thought I should ask.

It uses the same receiver chip and software as the Empirical Audio equipment. But how does it sound?

Is it better or rivals S/PDIF out of standard CD players?

Worth the $500 ....

K
If somebody tried it vs other transports like the Trends 10.1 please also make a comment.

May 25, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 13
I have it and while I don't think it's worth $500, it may be worth $300 used as I did it. It did improve my old V-DAC's sound over it's internal USB convertor. I mainly went with it for the 24/96 USB use and allows true 75ohm BNC output to my new Reference-1 DAC.

May 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have it and while I don't think it's worth $500, it may be worth $300 used as I did it. It did improve my old V-DAC's sound over it's internal USB convertor. I mainly went with it for the 24/96 USB use and allows true 75ohm BNC output to my new Reference-1 DAC.

Cheers for the inform!
smile.gif

May 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How much improvement was it really my friend? The V-Dac is a cheap dac... are we talking 'night and day'? or only difference when playing 24bit files?

K

May 26, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 13
Nothing is night and day but is was descernable and obvious- deeper bass, wider soundstage- just fuller, better sound. I don't love to quantify things like this but let's say it was a 25% improvement with the V-DAC, which I consider pretty substantial in my view (but borderline at $300). I mainly bought it to get 24/96 input and BNC output which is very hard to find in a USB convertor, plus I figured the quality of it would be above average. If I am going to spend $175 on a Trends or similar, I though the extra $120 for the 24/96 input and Bel Canto quality was worth it. Again, $500 seems too high.
My options to get BNC to my Reference-1 (the preferrred input according to Kingwa) was a converter like the Bel Canto or a similar priced soundcard that would be subject to noise (as I understand it).

May 26, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 13
tom ... so even on lackluster HD650 headphones you hear the difference with the Bel Canto.. great. Some people have said that the musicalty was lost and made the topend sharper. Actually they said that only thing to get is the Empirical Audio offramp. But that thing is expensive with the ultraclock, and a bit more cables etc...

empirial audio is same software and receiver chip, but they might have better power?

Do you use it with laptop or desktop? Maybe desktop usb is better, more stable power solutions etc...

May 26, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 13
I hear a difference with my old V-DAC which may not be saying a whole lot. I figure it's got to be better than 95% of USB input DAC's out there but who really knows. The reviews I read of it are pretty glowing. If you are considering spending north of $1000 for a convertor (Offramp) then I don't know what to tell you. That just seems ridiculous.

May 26, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 13
hehe.... tim3320070 I liked your answer on that one....

excellent reply. But the Empirical is supposed to be the swissarmy knife. But I agree, I use headphones myself, so probably not worth it.

V-DAC is supposed to be good with a good digital input.

K

May 26, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 13
Have not tried and don't think I will- so many people are completely adamant about there being no difference despite the small handful of reviews saying there are improvements.....There are also reviews stating using a $200 chunk of maple wood under your amp improves soundstage, clarity, blah, blah...

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 13
Initially, I thought this device is expensive as hell for no apparent reason. Then, I looked at Sonicweld which sells for $1299...

This thing is cheap all of sudden.. :) Well, not..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back