Bel Canto High End USB to SPDIF converter, anyone?
Feb 6, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #61 of 112
I concur with what Steve suggested. I rip with EAC to FLAC; use Max to convert to ALAC on the Mac, and use a Van den Hul Optocoupler Mk II mini to Toslink. Works a treat.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #62 of 112
spraggih, we are traveling down such similar paths. We both have Chord DAC 64s ...I've now moved mine upstaris to my computer, as I spend more time there.

Another headfier just sold me an Empirical modified Monarchy 24/96 DIP w/ Superclock and coax additions, which I believe is what Steve used to recommend for jitter reduction before he went to his own Freeway and Offramps.

Anyway the mid-fi Trends UD-10 will soon be history (although it's a barg'oon @ $150) and I'll finally have some decent high end computer audio. I was considering buying a second DAC when budget permits and was wondering how you like the Bel Canto 3 in comparison to the Chord??, because if purchased used, they are close in price. (I had a Bel Canto 2 before and did not like it, but understand the 3 is entirely new beast).

I still have not beaten the Chord unless I look towards the very top Meridians, and even then I'm not sure. Anyway, I'll be doing some serious testing with both a dynamic solid state rig (HD 650 + PS Audio GHCA) and a Stax setup. I'm also going to try the Havana DAC, as I have a Paridesa and like it for the price. I'll let you know how it goes.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #63 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornecherry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
spraggih, we are traveling down such similar paths. We both have Chord DAC 64s ...I've now moved mine upstaris to my computer, as I spend more time there.

Another headfier just sold me an Empirical modified Monarchy 24/96 DIP w/ Superclock and coax additions, which I believe is what Steve used to recommend for jitter reduction before he went to his own Freeway and Offramps.

Anyway the mid-fi Trends UD-10 will soon be history (although it's a barg'oon @ $150) and I'll finally have some decent high end computer audio. I was considering buying a second DAC when budget permits and was wondering how you like the Bel Canto 3 in comparison to the Chord??, because if purchased used, they are close in price. (I had a Bel Canto 2 before and did not like it, but understand the 3 is entirely new beast).

I still have not beaten the Chord unless I look towards the very top Meridians, and even then I'm not sure. Anyway, I'll be doing some serious testing with both a dynamic solid state rig (HD 650 + PS Audio GHCA) and a Stax setup. I'm also going to try the Havana DAC, as I have a Paridesa and like it for the price. I'll let you know how it goes.

Once you have a low-jitter source, you might want to try the VALAB DAC for $200. Upgrade the coupling caps for $100 and you will have something special.

Valab NOS USB DAC TDA1543 Low Jitter 1ppm TCXO Inside - eBay (item 270340557155 end time Feb-10-09 11:55:52 PST)

With low-jitter, the really simple NOS DAC's leave the rest in the dust IME.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #64 of 112
This thread is getting interesting... Not that Bel Canto USB/SPDIF is not interesting but not many folks have the device in-house.

I want to make sure I understand the advice

EAC --> FLAC --> ALAC is better than iTunes rip --> ALAC.

Glass toslink is better than plastic or other toslink.

Hmmm.

My situation is
PC iTunes (ALAC) is better than Mac iTunes (ALAC).

I have the music on a portable USB external hard drive. I unplugged the hard drive from PC and connected to Mac. Then opened iTunes and digital out to Chord DAC64. It sounded different.

I can understand the toslink making a difference but given I liked the PC sound are we saying the sound would be even better if I re-ripped all CDs via EAC then ALAC?

BTW is there anyway to go directly to ALAC from EAC?

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #65 of 112
Lorne>> replying soon to your post.

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #66 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand the toslink making a difference but given I liked the PC sound are we saying the sound would be even better if I re-ripped all CDs via EAC then ALAC?

i can't see how ripping with EAC or itunes will make a difference if done properly. both are capable of bit perfect copies.

Quote:

It feels too airy and not smooth enough or something. I really preferred the sound out of USB via USB/SPDIF converted on a PC. It may be I am just not use to bit perfect, clear sound because after all the Mac is bit perfect.

did you set the sampling rate under Audio Midi setup to match the rate of the files you're playing. if not then you're not getting bit perfect playback.

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #67 of 112
re: Bel Canto DAC3 versus Chord DAC64. Oh for a memory
smily_headphones1.gif
Let's see here I'm getting old...

As I recall I loved the DAC3 -- shimmering highs and fine bass extension. Really liked the features -- the ability to control the volume out (not really sure that mattered as a feature given music was being sent to an amp) and a remote control for input selection. Really felt like a step up from the Lavry DA-10 but then again it was double the price so it should have been.

If I had it all to do over again and was buying a second DAC-- I might but the DA-10 given it was good (very clean and natural sounding) and came with a amp. But again its treble extension was not in league with DAC3.

Kind of unfair comparison (DAC3, DAC64) since I only had the DAC64 for a brief time without the Freeway. I recall the DAC64 sounding better pre-Freeway but who knows anymore?
smily_headphones1.gif

Now if this were my primary DAC I might go with the DAC64 or the DAC3 or something other well regarded DAC. Personally my primary DAC might next be one of those EMMS Labs or Esoteric or something like that-- just to spend money and say "Check me out"
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #68 of 112
oops sorry responding to dmashta after I check the laptop.

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #69 of 112
Quote:

re: Bel Canto DAC3 versus Chord DAC64. Oh for a memory
smily_headphones1.gif
Let's see here I'm getting old...

As I recall I loved the DAC3 -- shimmering highs and fine bass extension. Really liked the features -- the ability to control the volume out (not really sure that mattered as a feature given music was being sent to an amp) and a remote control for input selection. Really felt like a step up from the Lavry DA-10 but then again it was double the price so it should have been.

If I had it all to do over again and was buying a second DAC-- I might but the DA-10 given it was good (very clean and natural sounding) and came with a amp. But again its treble extension was not in league with DAC3.

Kind of unfair comparison (DAC3, DAC64) since I only had the DAC64 for a brief time without the Freeway. I recall the DAC64 sounding better pre-Freeway but who knows anymore?
smily_headphones1.gif

Now if this were my primary DAC I might go with the DAC64 or the DAC3 or something other well regarded DAC. Personally my primary DAC might next be one of those EMMS Labs or Esoteric or something like that-- just to spend money and say "Check me out"
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have MKI or MKII?

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #71 of 112
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure I understand correctly. You recall the DAC64 sounding better pre-Freeway, so why not use it without the Freeway then? And do you mean you never compared the DAC3 and DAC64 without the Freeway in the chain?

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #72 of 112
dmashta, mine's a MK1, (the Mark II is supposed to be better with the accompanying Chord transport and balanced, neither of which apply to me); not that Mark II's are easy to find anyway. The new upgrade to the Chord looks very interesting too, but pricewise, it's the same league as the Berkley, Minerva, Estoteric and close to the Wadia/Meridian lower end. Hence, the economy needs to recover and more importantly, I would want to hear these contenders before I let go of the Chord and plunked down 5-6 grand on a DAC.

As far as the conversion conundrum goes, I rip to WAV now ...hard drive space is cheap, I can use it on iTunes or Foobar ...and despite the arguments that "bit perfect is bit perfect" I can tell the difference in SQ between some lossless formats.

But I will try ripping a few choice CDs in the order Steve recommended, once I get my gear settled down (like that's ever gon'a happen).

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #73 of 112
audioengr ....Steve:

Quote:

Once you have a low-jitter source, you might want to try the VALAB DAC for $200. Upgrade the coupling caps for $100 and you will have something special.

Valab NOS USB DAC TDA1543 Low Jitter 1ppm TCXO Inside - eBay (item 270340557155 end time Feb-10-09 11:55:52 PST)

Steve, you mention upgrading the caps for $100 ...where do I get the caps from? and is it easy to do. (I assume that's it's just a quick solder in and I don't have to deal with circuit boards, etc.)

For the $300 this may be an impulse buy, so I might spring for this and see just how good $300 can sound.

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #74 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmashta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure I understand correctly. You recall the DAC64 sounding better pre-Freeway, so why not use it without the Freeway then? And do you mean you never compared the DAC3 and DAC64 without the Freeway in the chain?

I believe I have the MKI for those interested.

Sorry my sig is not up to date: I sold the Freeway. I planned to start using Mac and more importantly I wanted to buy a bike and I could not bring myself to using existing income to buy something as needless as a bike. You know baby needs a new pair of shoes; I already have 0,000s in audio equipment so I told myself the bike would need to be cash flow neutral.

Given the Mac's digital out I thought this would be fine.

Re: comparison. I had either a Transit or a Audiophile USB when I had the DAC3 and later the DAC64. Then after selling the DAC3 I later purchased an used Freeway. Then I later (as stated above) sold the Freeway.

Really need to update my sig but laziness is winning the discourse.

[laziness no longer have me won over-- I now have updated my sig]

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #75 of 112

Users who are viewing this thread

Back