Bel Canto Dac2 with AirTunes-Yes, No, What?
Apr 24, 2005 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sclemmons

100+ Head-Fier
Apologize for the cross topic but I need some feedback and it ain't forthcoming from you guys. Help me now.

Query: Has anybody used this DAC with Airport Express? Should I be worried about any problem? Delays, disconnects, or anything? Or do you think it will work well with the Toslink since COAX is not an option? Is it old technology vs the Benchmark or Apogee? Has the world moved on beyond toslink+upsampling to usb? Is the DAC2 about to upgrade to DAC3 maybe? You know the questions? For a non headphone Airport express to RCA set up, is this a good idea? A bad idea? Or what?

I am going through the whole caveat emptor routine and need some help.

Lord knows I am no expert. I have a line on a BelCanto DAC2 and will buy it but I want to hear a better idea if anybody thinks that is a bad idea.

thanks.

Apr 24, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 2
I was wondering the same thing. I've come close a couple of times to pulling the trigger on this dac for my ax. It seems that the price used has dropped $50 to $100 which makes me wonder whether an update is coming. They used to go for around $850 and now I see them regularly for $750. I think I am going to stay on the sidelines on this one a bit longer and see if the prices drop a bit more. At $650, this may be a true bargain source to match with the ax. I had the VDA-1 and it worked fine with the ax. Maybe 1 or 2% of the time there was a drop off, otherwise it was a decent combo for the price. I wouldn't think there would be any more of an issue with the Bel Canto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back