Bel Canto Dac + SinglePower MPX vs. Headroom Desktop Max w/ Max Dac & DPS
Jan 20, 2006 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

MikeLa

100+ Head-Fier
I’m a newbie that has the fortunate opportunity to purchase both a home and office rig. It’s not exactly a cost-no-limit proposition, but I plan on making an investment. After many hours of reading threads and reviews, I think I’ve settled on the Bel Canto Dac / SinglePower MPX / Senn 650 for home. I’m using my laptop as the transport (lossless).

I’m looking at the Headroom Desktop Max w/Max Dac and DSP or the Headroom Desktop portable w/DAC for the office, using the same laptop as the transport. I would like the office setup to be at least luggable.

Will I be disappointed listening to music on the Headroom after spending the night with the Bel Canto / SinglePower? I’m trying to configure a quality office rig that can be moved around, but quality is more important than lug ability.

Any input?

BTW great forum.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 36
Put the home Module in the Headroom Desktop, and I seriously doubt you will be disapointed, at that point it's just different flavors, more then different quality levels. Sprite Vs Coke, rather then Coke Vs Generic Storebrand. You may even like the headroom more, but at that point it's more Solid State VS Tubes issue.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 36
Great, that's what I was hoping for.

Would you go with the portable or non-portable desktop?
I believe you can only get the Home Module and Desktop DAC in the portable, but you can put the Max Module and Max DAC in the non- portable unit. Are these noticable upgrades?

Jan 20, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 36
The upgrades are noticeable. Moreso from Desktop to Home, then Home to Max. TheSloth has a very detailed thread about the differnces between headroom modules.

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 36
Here is another suggestion:

Get either Lavry DA10 or Benchmark DAC1 + SinglePower MPX3

This way, you can use DA10/DAC1's internal amp at the office when transpotability is an issue, but you are not compromising the home-system at all. Cost wise, this setup is same as Bel Canto DAC2 + MPX3.

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 36
I don't see how a Bel Canto 2 is a comprimise compared to either of those dacs... they are all in the same league. Though this option would be cheaper. I have my doubts that either of those units could outperform the headroom combo mentioned, im not sure it would even be close really, the DAC's are great, but the amps are in a different league. Then again, it would save a ton of cash. Definatly worth considering.

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 36
Your HeadRoom comparison is sort of apples and oranges. The Desktop with Max Modules and Max DAC (owned one) is a whole other animal to a Desktop Portable, even with Home Module and Desktop DAC (own one). The Max DAC is a very serious high end DAC to my ears, whereas the Desktop DAC is lower down the pecking order. I don't think the Desktop DAC will stand up to the other DAC's you mention (not that it isn't good, or doesn't compare well to others in it's price range), whereas the Max DAC certainly will, if not even better some.

Also, the Max Module is a significant upgrade from the Home Module, though some might find it hard to justify the price/performance ratio. The Home is probably better VFM in absolute terms, but the Max really is, well, Max.

The Desktop Portable system is obviously significantly cheaper, however I'm not sure you will find it stands up to your home system (though it will be pretty decent). On the other hand, if you get the fully Maxed Out Desktop (don't forget the stepped attenuator), you might even end up with something you like even better...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Here is another suggestion:

Get either Lavry DA10 or Benchmark DAC1 + SinglePower MPX3

This way, you can use DA10/DAC1's internal amp at the office when transpotability is an issue, but you are not compromising the home-system at all. Cost wise, this setup is same as Bel Canto DAC2 + MPX3.

If he can get the Lavry, it would be wise; it sounds noticeably better than the DAC1 and significantly better than a stock DAC2.

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLa
Will I be disappointed listening to music on the Headroom after spending the night with the Bel Canto / SinglePower?

I've auditioned (but never owned) the Headroom Desktop Portable...it's a stellar performer, and difficult to imagine a cooler unit for the workplace. I agree with the others that it's more of an apples/oranges comparison, but even if you don't like it as much as your home rig, you gotta give yourself some reason to come home at the end of the day!

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
I've auditioned (but never owned) the Headroom Desktop Portable...it's a stellar performer, and difficult to imagine a cooler unit for the workplace. I agree with the others that it's more of an apples/oranges comparison, but even if you don't like it as much as your home rig, you gotta give yourself some reason to come home at the end of the day!

My 'apples and oranges' was referring only to the two HeadRoom configurations, which I consider to be worlds apart.

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 36
I am hours away from receiving delivery of my Desktop (with Home amp & DAC) and the Desktop PSU for use in my office. I will be using it with my laptop/dock fed from the S/PDIF or USB input. I have a maxxed MPX3 at home but use a good CDP as the transport there. I will be happy to give you some impressions on the comparisons/trade-offs between the rigs, but that will be a few days. From the times I have heard the HR products, I agree with TheSloth in his comments on Desktop vs. Desktop Portable. I don't think you want to limit yourself for the slightly more portable version, even though it does have the battery option.

Sorry to glom onto your thread but I have a couple quick questions for Headroom heads like TheSloth or others. Is there a big difference on the USB vs. the S/PDIF in terms of SQ? I intend to use this unit as a preamp with some small speakers. Does the volume control work on the pre-out? In other words, the website says the amp "has a variable output on the rear panel that can be defeated by a front panel switch when listening to headphones." Does that mean variable as in volume control or as in switchable between inputs? TIA for any input.

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 36
Thanks for all the input. MikeW you shouldn't have pointed me to TheSloth's reviews, I read his review on the Home Balanced Amp. Does the Desktop with Max Module and Max DAC come with balanced outputs?

So, if I understand everyone's input, the MaxDac should be on par with the Benchmark, Apogee or Bel Canto' DACs, but the MaxAmp should outpace the headphone amps in the BenchMark and Apogee, therefore the Desktop Max/Max should have a better sound then using the BenchMark or Apogee as an Dac/Amp unit.

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #14 of 36
MikeLa: I think you're spot on with your analysis, at least to my ears. The Desktop is single ended only. I did a review of the Maxed Out Desktop that I owned before the Home, so you may want to look that up. Suffices to say that I only bought the Home because of how good I thought the Desktop was, if that makes any sense...

Voltron: The rear outputs are in parallel with the headphone output. They have the nice Cardas jacks, but otherwise they are identical to the headphone jacks. Therefore, having your headphones plugged in while driving the external speakers will slightly effect the sound (negatively), and having the rear output activated while listening to your headphones will also slightly negatively impact the sound. So, use one or the other, with either the headphones unplugged or the rear output defeated.

Assuming there is no OS interference with the USB output, there is no difference between any of the digital transmission methods.

Jan 21, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #15 of 36
saying the max amp will out pace the amp in Dac1 is putting it mildly, they arnt even close. A maxed pimeta will outpace a dac1's built in amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back