Bel Canto Dac-3 with USB?
Jul 2, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 18
I've not heard the USB version of either, but have heard a standard DAC3 and a DAC1. IMO the DAC3 was a good deal better. If (and it is an if) the USB implementation is similar, then the DAC3 should still have the same advantage.

Jul 3, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not heard the USB version of either, but have heard a standard DAC3 and a DAC1. IMO the DAC3 was a good deal better. If (and it is an if) the USB implementation is similar, then the DAC3 should still have the same advantage.

x2

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 18
yes, the BC DAC3 sounds better to me than the DAC1. however, I was not totally sure that the USB implementation (that's what I mostly use) is that much better than the simpler one built into the s300iu integrated amp they also make. the direct price is a bit high I think - but you can ask your dealer for a better quote, perhaps...

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the best price anyone's gotten on the DAC3?

This DAC doesn't get much play here on Head-Fi...why not?

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 18
mostly because it's expensive and doesn't really outclass the other 1K dacs enough to justify the premium. it's great if you need a usb/pre/dac.

the lowest dac-3 i've seen was $1495.00

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mostly because it's expensive and doesn't really outclass the other 1K dacs enough to justify the premium. it's great if you need a usb/pre/dac.

the lowest dac-3 i've seen was $1495.00

I cannot seem to find it below 2K but will keep trying. I am been on trial with the Benchmark DAC1 USB and and finding it a bit bright for my taste. The DAC search is clearly one of the most frustrating of searches because of input/output desires and a huge variance of cost with unclear justification.

Jul 24, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X2,

I had a brief interest but several statements made it seem that it was way overpriced compared to the competition, and I had no interest in a USB.

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot seem to find it below 2K but will keep trying. I am been on trial with the Benchmark DAC1 USB and and finding it a bit bright for my taste. The DAC search is clearly one of the most frustrating of searches because of input/output desires and a huge variance of cost with unclear justification.

If you find the DAC1 to be on the bright side, maybe you should consider the Lavry, which is definitely "warmer" and musical. Under 2k, you'll definitely have to consider the Northstar 192 and Kora Hermes. They both can be had used for significantly under your price cap.

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you find the DAC1 to be on the bright side, maybe you should consider the Lavry, which is definitely "warmer" and musical. Under 2k, you'll definitely have to consider the Northstar 192 and Kora Hermes. They both can be had used for significantly under your price cap.

Thanks for the suggestions.
USB is key for my search and the Lavry, Kora and Northstar do not support USB. I chose the Benchmark because it has 24/96 support over USB. The Bel Canto has USB but only supports 16/48 (I learned this recently and had always assumed all USB DACs now support 24/96. The wheel turns...

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions.
USB is key for my search and the Lavry, Kora and Northstar do not support USB. I chose the Benchmark because it has 24/96 support over USB. The Bel Canto has USB but only supports 16/48 (I learned this recently and had always assumed all USB DACs now support 24/96. The wheel turns...

Opps. I apologize for such inappropriate suggestions. Didn't read your post thoroughly enough.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #15 of 18
The SlimDevices transporter. Many audiophiles who have tried it swear by it. I know some that have personally got rid of their high-end DACs and replaced it with this device.

Try reading some comments in their audiophile forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back