Bel Canto Dac-3, Mac Book Pro, ASIO driver
Jan 2, 2007 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ruppin

100+ Head-Fier
After having the thing for a while as a Demo, I bought the Bel Canto Dac 3. Whether this was an error remains to be seen. I do have a question. My music is lossless or uncompressed and stored on network hard drives. I can connect to the DAC either through Apple Airport Express (hardwired to network) toslink to Dac. Or I can connect directly from a CPU (mostly a MacBook Pro (Intel Chip), via either toslink or USB.

When I connect with USB, I can make some adjustments with a free Apple Unility called "Audio MIDI Setup.app". Bel Canto suggests (sort of) some "ASIO" drivers which can be obtained fromhttp://www.usb-audio.com/. Has anyone tried this. The copy protection seems to depend on having a static ethernet address. Any issues? Does it improve the sound? Assume, with a great deal of accuracy, that I know nothing about this tool. Is it worth it. Bel Canto is less than clear, and even harder to contact.

Should I just stick with Toslink? Should I have gotten the Stello 220 II? All comments welcome.

Jan 2, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruppin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After having the thing for a while as a Demo, I bought the Bel Canto Dac 3. Whether this was an error remains to be seen. I do have a question. My music is lossless or uncompressed and stored on network hard drives. I can connect to the DAC either through Apple Airport Express (hardwired to network) toslink to Dac. Or I can connect directly from a CPU (mostly a MacBook Pro (Intel Chip), via either toslink or USB.

When I connect with USB, I can make some adjustments with a free Apple Unility called "Audio MIDI Setup.app". Bel Canto suggests (sort of) some "ASIO" drivers which can be obtained fromhttp://www.usb-audio.com/. Has anyone tried this. The copy protection seems to depend on having a static ethernet address. Any issues? Does it improve the sound? Assume, with a great deal of accuracy, that I know nothing about this tool. Is it worth it. Bel Canto is less than clear, and even harder to contact.

Should I just stick with Toslink? Should I have gotten the Stello 220 II? All comments welcome.

What a cunumdrum, unfortunately I have not a clue; however, I hope you figure it out as I am interested in hearing thoughts on a DAC 3.

Is there a reason other than your DAC 3 being a demo that you choose it over the e.One S300iu?

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 5
Ruppin,

I use usb_asio with the Bel Canto 3 with excellent results and no copy protection problems. I do believe it sounds better than directsound but not a huge difference. I have not used it with toslink connection, but really doubt that this would be better via network than direct usb into a dac specifically designed for this. Why don't you just try it both ways and hear for yourself whether it makes a differencefor you?

In earlier threads you can search for about the Bel Canto 3 I have described my preference for this over the Stello 220 II. I own both and both are quite good.

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 5
No need for ASIO drivers on a Mac. Just tell iTunes to stream via the Airport Express using the Toslink. No need to mess with Audio-Midi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back