Bel Canto C5i as headphone amp
Dec 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Nimerino

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Long-time listener, first time caller. 

I would be interested in knowing what your opinions are on Bel Canto DACs and integrated amps purely as headphone amps. In my small system, I currently employ a C5i, though the living room has a DAC3.5VB connected to a Schiit Lyr for headphone listening. At work, I use a Matrix Cube. 

Though the Sennheiser HD650s that I primarily use obviously sound better with the big rig, the soundstage being fuller and transient dynamics better controlled, the difference (when volume matched) is not strikingly obvious compared to the C5i, and I would go so far as to say it sounds significantly better than the Cube, with lower noise floor, superior instrument separation, faster attack and natural vocal timbre, though they both have certain difficulties running the HD650s at volume. Listening through a pair of HD595s, AKG 550s and even IE8s yields similar results, though not as pronounced.

I've also ordered a pair of JH16 Pros over the Holiday Period, which I do not expect for a while yet. I'm hoping, being more revealing and sensitive, these will allow a better comparison. 

I'm interestedin  the consensus on these components, i.e. integrated amplifiers well suited as headphone amps in general, and the Bel Cantos in particular, from people significantly more perceptive and articulate than myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back