Bel Canto 3 and Stello DA220/100
Nov 23, 2008 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Andrew_WOT

Headphoneus Supremus
Did anyone compare too? Judging by pictures Canto's enclosure looks kind of empty inside, yet priced higher than Stello. Is is truly a step up from Stello or just slightly different flavor of the same tier DAC?
What would be a step up from Stello under 2k, preferably with USB support?

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 11
I have no experience with the Stello. I do have a DAC3 and I love it.

I read a lot of reviews before I got the DAC3 (the Stereophile Measurements are especially enlightening) and I never got the impression there wasn't much in the box, there are two separate power supplies and the box is very heavy (at least compared to a Benchmark DAC1).

Good luck with the picking. Maybe look at the new Bryston DAC which looks interesting as well, (2 PS too but per channel instead of digital/analog).

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for your reply, I was actually eyeballing this guy http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/abr...v6-dac-375569/
Not sure though if getting one in States will be easy, on Bel Canto side, I've heard both positive and negative comments, I really like Stello and looking for upgrade, not side step or insignificant improvement.

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your reply, I was actually eyeballing this guy http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/abr...v6-dac-375569/
Not sure though if getting one in States will be easy, on Bel Canto side, I've heard both positive and negative comments, I really like Stello and looking for upgrade, not side step or insignificant improvement.

I am strongly in the FAN catagory.

Well I can't say that it's better than the Stello (because I've never heard one) but I can say that I've heard the following and it's better than them:

Meridian G08
Transporter
Giant CD that was at Florida meet feeding the luxman
Ayre CX7 that was at the meet
Benchmark DAC1

It's the best measured (resolution, noise floor, jitter rejection (except usb), and essentially flat response) digital component Stereophile has ever measured. This means that it's accurate to a fault. If you're looking for lush, this is not it. It's very exacting but not overly harsh/punshing. That's the big difference for me over the DAC1 was that the DAC3 was just smoother and more realistic in recordings where the highs have problems (while they are still obviously there). Imaging wise I can't judge because I generally find that pretty much everything has the same imaging with a given amp and headphones as long as the response is flat. I'd call it the Patek Phillipe (not that I own one) of DACs, technically amazing but with soul, revise that I'll go with Zenith instead because their watches are a much better value (I have one of those).

I'm not a shill I swear, just a huge fan.

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a shill I swear, just a huge fan.

Who said you are?
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I remember reading some post a while ago that was comparing very favorably Bel Canto 3 over Stello, can't find it though.
frown.gif

At least for now I have a very solid candidate if Abrahamsen doesn't work.
Can you please comment on USB input, what receiver it uses and how does it compare to spdif?
Thanks a lot for your informative replies.

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Hmm, this one describes them as just different flavors of the same quality ice-cream.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2533852-post89.html

I think he has a point. At this level I am a firm believer that they are all flavors of the same ice cream. I like him prefer the DAC3 and I don't think that everyone will agree with me. I am in this hobby for absolute fidelity to the original recording and for that I think the DAC3 is about as close as any DAC gets for any price. Beyond the DAC1 I think most things are down to preference.

I forgot to mention I also tried it vs Chord DAC64 and it whupped it in my and the Chord owners opinion.

I can't really comment on the USB input because I don't use it at all in my setup because I send all my digital signals though my Behringer DEQ2496 which performs the equalization duties. I used it as a USB based player for a couple days but stopped once I got the DEQ and sorted out that my USB connection was introducing some ground hum to my setup.

If you want absolute resolution and accuracy I think the DAC3 is it as it stands right now.

As a side note: I am using the DEQ's built in DAC at the moment as source my speaker amp and my newly borrowed Koss ESP950s and to be honest the detail is as good as the DAC3 but again the DAC3 is just not quite as harsh and seems more natural. That said there is a nearly factor of 10 price difference between the two. In the end the DEQ is probably the best piece of audio equiment I have, one twist of one knob would cost thousands to achieve through DACs, Amps or headphones. And it's $300. Maybe worth a try vs buying a new DAC?

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 11
I sold my DA100 when I got my S300iu. S300iu is Bel Canto's integrated amp. It has an integrated USB-DAC which adds about $200 to its price. First I considered keeping the DA100 but when I compared the USB-input to DA100, I really couldn't tell much difference. Very impressive performance by a $200 USB-DAC card. I'm sure DAC3 performs on another level than this $200 USB-DAC but even the USB-DAC works very well. Some day I'll try DAC3 in my setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Who said you are?
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I remember reading some post a while ago that was comparing very favorably Bel Canto 3 over Stello, can't find it though.
frown.gif

I guess that's the one.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/bel...ssions-317117/
Anyone else had first hand experience with both?

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold my DA100 when I got my S300iu. S300iu is Bel Canto's integrated amp. It has an integrated USB-DAC which adds about $200 to its price. First I considered keeping the DA100 but when I compared the USB-input to DA100, I really couldn't tell much difference. Very impressive performance by a $200 USB-DAC card. I'm sure DAC3 performs on another level than this $200 USB-DAC but even the USB-DAC works very well. Some day I'll try DAC3 in my setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

No, much as I like my s300iu, the standalone Bel Canto DACs are a completely different thing, much better implemented. In fact I posted elsewhere on head-fi recently that I found myself using the USB on the s300iu less and less, now that I have the Pico (for USB and headphone use) as well as Squeezeboxes (for computer to speaker rig use, through the VDA2 DAC). The differences are very easily heard... But it is great to have USB right in the amp, I loved it the first year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back