Being single sucks...
Nov 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #91 of 179
Self health is a very important and least understood perspective of relationships. If either person is ill, they will cling and whine when they don't like life, but won't bring anything to the relationship because they don't know themselves.

A person has to learn themselves, the good & bad. How can you find a healthy relationship if you don't know what you need? You are young, have little experience with life issues and don't know how to seek out a proper mate.

When I was 21, I had been married and divorced, through a few relationships (today I wish I was better prepared for one of those as I think I lost a good one), tried finding acceptance through social scenes, etc. I eventually felt that I didn't know what I was wanting but was trying to do what everyone else said was normal.

I took a couple years off of dating, expanded my comfort level and got involved in something that needed my time more (career, family and friendship, spiritual & physical health). I went through life gaining self confidence and learning how to relate with people.

I have been married for 24 years and while there are going to be issues between two people, I know who I am and am happy with life. I sure could complain about several things but take them for what they are, inconvenience. My self esteem has been pretty level once I understood myself better.

In an ongoing development, that one person I wished I had been more mature with, has contacted me after 30 odd years to say that they felt similar. It was a great feeling to know that. We both have lives with other people and families, etc. so nothing more would come of it. It just felt gratifying to know my remorse was justified.

We need to be taught how to develop as a person and a mate. No room in our schooling system to develop the most needed lessons. Perhaps we need to drop some material and work on personal development. When we develop by ourselves, we become selfish and self involved. Bad habits for a relationship. The older you get, the worse it gets.

Once you know who you are and what you need, you can better look for a person who brings to the relationship what best fits for both. That is unless you can get the best out of yourself. I sometimes need a push, something my slavedriver has plenty of.
tongue_smile.gif

Wish I'd figured that out earlier.

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #92 of 179
My ex-gf was almost at that point as well, but I quit it before it really became a problem.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #93 of 179
Holy crap. I read your post and had to do a double take to see if I posted it.
Just got out of my 3.5 yr relationship for EXACTLY the reasons you stated. However, it took me a bit more than 12 months to get out...

And when I read your Scorching, soul-withering hell line, I was thinking "I think I have said that exact line before"

Hope everything is going well for you- single life is an adjustment, but its a very welcome change that is really growing on me.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As desolately lonely as it is to be by yourself, it is a scorching, soul-withering hell to be in a bad relationship and effectively miserable and alone. The really bad relationships with bad people are difficult to get out of if you've been together a long time. The really bad relationships with good but profoundly mixed-up people are even harder to leave.

I spent a huge portion of the last twelve months getting extricated from a serious three-year relationship with a wonderful person who'd somehow managed to get herself completely stuck in life. I still care a great deal for her, but I wouldn't go back. It's lousy being by yourself, and when the apartment's a shambles, and the money's run out ten days before payday, there's nobody to yell at besides yourself. But it's a twenty-four carat delight to know that, though you've got lots of problems, dealing with somebody else's problems isn't one of them.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #96 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still adjusting after my fiancee ended our engagement back in May. One step at a time....forward.

bummer. sorry to hear that... my once-fiancee ended our engagement too - this was an age go though, but it took me 3 years to fully extricate myself; partly from my feelings for her and partly due to her dependence on me. *sigh*

still it turns out for the best in the end
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #98 of 179
I just being single after 2 years, what painful is she acting up during my birthday. Its been painful these past weeks but at the end I'm happy, now I can buy stuff without her nagging around and more modding time for me!

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #99 of 179
Being single is great... kind of. I got out of a 5 and a half year relationship last year and it's been a life changing experience for me. I'm a better person now, both mentally and physically, and it's all due to the breakup.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #100 of 179
Being single is great!
smile.gif

You are totally free to manage your own life, hence spend your time and money just like you want it without anyone interfering. Plenty of other single people out there as well when you need some intimacy...

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #101 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being single is great... kind of. I got out of a 5 and a half year relationship last year and it's been a life changing experience for me. I'm a better person now, both mentally and physically, and it's all due to the breakup.

+1

I agree with you 100%, it makes us look at ourself and be a better person

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #103 of 179
i like reading all the stories on here, its good the internet can be truely anonymous.

i dunno if i could survive a long term relationship break up if i loved them :/ but then im a fragile person, that fact had been holding me back

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #104 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like reading all the stories on here, its good the internet can be truely anonymous.

i dunno if i could survive a long term relationship break up if i loved them :/ but then im a fragile person, that fact had been holding me back

Yet another reason to stay single...but don't let me sway you either way.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back