Behringer uca202 as digital link to DAC?
Mar 19, 2008 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

oatmeal769

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought a Zero DAC via Ebay for use with my home PC and CD player, both of which have optical outputs which I'll then input directly to the DAC. I'd like to have the same capability with my laptop, but it has no optical out.
The Behringer uca202 has a usb in and optical out. My thinking is that if I use it only as an optical digital interface between the laptop and my DAC, there should be no change in signal, as it remains digital until the DAC.

Sound reasonable?

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 12
Yes. In my experience, the UCA-202 does provide a bit perfect output from it's toslink jack. You can't beat it for the price!

Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a Zero DAC via Ebay for use with my home PC and CD player, both of which have optical outputs which I'll then input directly to the DAC. I'd like to have the same capability with my laptop, but it has no optical out.
The Behringer uca202 has a usb in and optical out. My thinking is that if I use it only as an optical digital interface between the laptop and my DAC, there should be no change in signal, as it remains digital until the DAC.

Sound reasonable?

Happy Listening!

May 22, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. In my experience, the UCA-202 does provide a bit perfect output from it's toslink jack. You can't beat it for the price!
Happy Listening!

I need to get digital signal off my laptop. It's got a minitoslik output, so I was about to get a mini to toslink adaptor. Do you think I would get better results If a get the UCA?
confused.gif

May 22, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 12
If your laptop is not a Mac Book then yes you would be better served by the UCA as most if not all PC notebook digital outputs are not bit perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by george_7777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to get digital signal off my laptop. It's got a minitoslik output, so I was about to get a mini to toslink adaptor. Do you think I would get better results If a get the UCA?
confused.gif

Happy Listening!

May 23, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Happy Listening!

Would you happen to know if the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB gives bit perfect playback as well? The Zero is on my radar as well, but I don't want to get the UCA if the TBAAM works fine.

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also note that there are ASIO drivers from Behringer for the UCA202 for those up on that sort of stuff.

REALLY??? I'll check that out for sure, that might be a solution... I'm still not at all convinced that my Winamp>Kernel stream is truly 'bit perfect'
Where did you see it?

May 23, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 12
The UCA202 is a nice little feature-packed device. When plugging it into a Windows xp machine, a generic usb audio driver automatically installs and Windows sets the UCA202 as the primary sound device. This is the driver I'm using for general purpose pc sound output directly to powered pc speakers via the headphone 1/8" out and simultaneously as a usb to spdif converter via toslink for the dac on the cambridge audio 840c for my headphone setups. I'm using this driver because I'd like to actually hear sound (especially in games) and other applications for which there is no way to directly access the device through asio. Read on...

I installed the ASIO driver available for download at Behringer.com, however it strangely removes the UCA202's ability as a general device for sound output in Windows. Instead you can set up individual applications, like for example foobar, to use asio directly to the UCA202. While I couldn't directly a/b the generic usb audio driver vs the asio driver, I found the sound through asio to be noticeably less grainy. But of course this is somewhat useless to me since I can't use the UCA202 for gaming or other tasks with the ASIO driver (which requires a reboot whenever installing/uninstalling).

The ASIO4all driver might be an option. I've used that before with the dac in the Corda Aria for foobar specifically. In this case, the Aria's dac was setup as a generic usb audio device with the default windows driver so it could be used for all sound output (like in games too
wink.gif
) and the asio4all driver was only used within foobar as an output option. While foobar was running, no other sounds (from another application for eg) would output but as soon as foobar was closed, any windows sound would be output. I haven't tried the asio4all driver with the UCA202 yet.

How does it sound as a usb to spdif device?
When flac encoded files are sent via toslink to the Cambridge audio 840c, the sound is not bad, but not exactly in the same league as the source redbook cd playing in the 840c. Strange considering they are using the same dac, no?
smily_headphones1.gif
But honestly, the difference in sound is so noticeable that I would have to be highly suspect of someone's hearing if they couldn't tell a different. The neat thing with this type of comparison is that no volume adjustments are needed to level match so you can really just choose either the redbook or spdif input and make some judgements. The spdif input is noticeably grainy, lacking in imaging and separation, and generally sounds a bit wooly across the entire frequency range when directly compared to the redbook. Just as a little tidbit, the display on the 840c shows the spdif input as <=20/44.1 (which gets upsampled to 24/384).

While my observations might make you reconsider... remember that this device sells for ~$30 and completely blows away the sound quality of the Creative Soundblaster Live card. It's pretty good, but certainly not the final word in pc audio. It sounds great for gaming though
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 12
The TBAAM is NOT bit perfect and re-samples everything to 48 khz.

Happy Listening!

Quote:

Originally Posted by globalghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you happen to know if the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB gives bit perfect playback as well? The Zero is on my radar as well, but I don't want to get the UCA if the TBAAM works fine.

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

The TBAAM is NOT bit perfect and re-samples everything to 48 khz.

Happy Listening!

I just verified this to be FALSE.

ie, the hardware is perfectly capable of bitperfect NON RESAMPLED playback.

I have a hardware device that shows (at the toslink level) if its 32/44/48k samplerate. an old scms box from my dat-heads days...
wink.gif

when I run the MS drivers (this might be important, as you NEVER want vendor sound card drivers if you can help it) and I play a 44.1 audio cd, it DOES IN FACT show the 44.1k led on my box. a home stereo (yamaha, etc) would also show SR on its display so this is provable using current tech if you want
wink.gif

when I play a dvd source, it shows 48k. I then load an mp3 that came from a cd and it goes back to 44.1k on my box.

there is NO resampling in the chip. if you get RS issues, its all in your software.

I have experience in c-media chipsets (this is one) and this, like all the rest, do NOT force a resample.

ie, this is not creative brand junk. creative is to be avoided. c-media is not
wink.gif

fwiw.

/bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back