Behringer-SRC2496 - Low price DAC for cd player?
Apr 1, 2007 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

nagal

Head-Fier
Ok... I'll start with, I have no real idea what I'm talking about! I only barely understand all the technical jargon when it comes to the specs of all the "hi-fi" equipment. But, what I'm trying to do is find a way to get really "decent" sound at the lowest possible price! I have very little money...

What I want is some nice headphones.. I'll probably go with either the Sen. 650's or the Beyer. 880's, then a "decent" source that will both be clean and have enough power to drive the phones. I'll ask a few questions of all you extremely knowledgeable audiophiles.. (and there are quite a few of you here!)

1st) Would connecting this Behringer work to create an up-sampling cd player? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ter?sku=182480

If you took an opitcal cable or digital RCA from your cd/dvd player to this converter... it would be somewhat like an up-samlping cd player...maybe?

Anyhow, all I'm really wanting is a clean "decent" source that would push one of the two headphones really well, so they would sound there best (and be pretty damn cheap too
wink.gif
)... Can someone tell from the specs if it could do that?

How much power would it take to properly push the headphones in question?

Most specs I see are in dBu - like +10 dBu or +22 dBu, what does that mean, and how do I know what would be enough for the headphones I'm thinking about?

I can't find how much power this unit is pushing through the headphone jack, but I could call them and find out hopefully, if it matters.

.. as you can see I'm new at all this and I have a million questions, I'll just wait till some people post back before I start asking any more. Also, I'll stop at this point because I probably already sound like a complete idiot!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, for any help, teaching, or comments! .. I am willing to learn!

Apr 1, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 2
I toyed with the idea of getting that berhinger dac- in the end I went for a Dac-ah, and have been satisfied. The berhingers output is at a higher level than domestic audio equipment, and you'll also have to figure in the cost of xlr>rca cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back