Behind the times, I have some questions
Dec 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Terrynj

Head-Fier
I am not new to the headphone/music world, but I am very behind on the technical aspects of getting music into the cans. I just posted my first post earlier in that I have some Hifiman HE400s coming, and I have an old Fiio E11 amp, but what I don't know is, how and what you feed the amp. I used to use my iPhone 4s and stream Spotify into the FiiO through the line-out connector, but I have had to upgrade and now have a Samsung s6 edge, which I love, but for some reason, the manufactures dont like to feed line-level out of phones anymore, I guess they want you to use Bluetooth? I want my 4s back.  I have just started looking at how people are streaming their music now and it looks like sophisticated (modded?) ipods? I did find Tidal, which would be an option for a better streaming host, but can I even use my Android coming out of the headphone jack into my FiiO? I am inherently against this because the DAC in the phone is in the way? Right? or am I wrong?

I am planning on using my WD media streamer that has a Toslink out, into my Denon Receiver which sounds very good...steaming Spotify. So I think that will work for now until I figure out my next step for listening in the house, but my main issue is now when I am up and about (on my property) and want portability. I have beefed up my wifi Network, so I have plenty of wireless bandwidth available as I roam. Because of Christmas and just buying the 400s's, I will have wait to upgrade anymore for awhile, so I am looking for ideas on what I can do now, and suggestions and where to head in the future!

Thanks in advance!
Terry

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 15
If the DAC section of the Edge is clean enough you can just amp the headphone out. If it is noisy then a digital line-out would be awesome, but sadly not available on the Edge.

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 15
It seems to be pretty good, but its hard to tell with the head phones I have. What are people using now to drive their head phones when they go portable? Are most people using their Phones? or can you point me to some products that are the hot thing?

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 15
To be honest, I think you'll be very happy with what you have. The 400S doesn't need a ton of power and the FiiO will be plenty for them. If I were you, I'd keep what you have for a while and wait to upgrade to a better system. A lot of people (myself included) made the mistake of either sidgrading, or slightly upgrading. I know I'd be much happier if I had just saved for a TOTL HE6, HD800, or HD650 rig...But I still enjoy what I have now quite a bit. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 15
That makes sense...I need more time to get up to speed on things. I will find out where I'm at after I can test drive the 400s....it is VERY HARD to pick something so subjective without even hearing one peep out of them. I am determined to be objective and if i dont like them...I will send them back with a little more knowledge under my belt. I was leaning towards the HD600 or HD650's, but people say they are thin on bass...which I want some punch.... I am like most people...I want a car that will go 200mph, zero to 60 in3 sec, gets 45mpg, and cost $10,000! lol
I appreciate your input

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 15
Yeah, your best bet is to try and audition as many cans as you can to try to get a feel for what you like. The HD6X0 are great cans but some people just don't like their sound signature. The HD650 is more mid bassy than the 600, and the 600 has more shouty upper mids. Both are exceptional on good gear, as they scale like crazy. I wouldn't say they are thin on bass, just maybe not as bass heavy as you might be used to. For a more fun, but less resolving headphone, you can check out the Fidelio X2. More bass and treble sparkle than either HD6X0, but some prefer this. If you end up liking the 400S I'd say just keep it, and then spend a lot of time determining what you want as an endgame rig. Keep in mind a lot of people here are impressed more by $$ than sound quality, so try to keep that in mind when people suggest you buy... Certain flagship headphones...

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 15
  That makes sense...I need more time to get up to speed on things. I will find out where I'm at after I can test drive the 400s....it is VERY HARD to pick something so subjective without even hearing one peep out of them. I am determined to be objective and if i dont like them...I will send them back with a little more knowledge under my belt. I was leaning towards the HD600 or HD650's, but people say they are thin on bass...which I want some punch.... I am like most people...I want a car that will go 200mph, zero to 60 in3 sec, gets 45mpg, and cost $10,000! lol
I appreciate your input

The good news is the Hifiman 400s should be driven pretty good right out of your Galaxy Edge, an if your on an Upgrade Program with your mobile company there's the S7 coming out in the spring with a ESS Sabre Dac/Amp [simmilar to whats in my LG V10]

my point being is I think you'll enjoy a headphone that can be Driven right from your phone, more so than doing Headphone or Line out into an amp. Give the 400s a shot, an if you don't like it you could dry something like a Grado! 

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 15
Yeah, your best bet is to try and audition as many cans as you can to try to get a feel for what you like. The HD6X0 are great cans but some people just don't like their sound signature. The HD650 is more mid bassy than the 600, and the 600 has more shouty upper mids. Both are exceptional on good gear, as they scale like crazy. I wouldn't say they are thin on bass, just maybe not as bass heavy as you might be used to. For a more fun, but less resolving headphone, you can check out the Fidelio X2. More bass and treble sparkle than either HD6X0, but some prefer this. If you end up liking the 400S I'd say just keep it, and then spend a lot of time determining what you want as an endgame rig. Keep in mind a lot of people here are impressed more by $$ than sound quality, so try to keep that in mind when people suggest you buy... Certain flagship headphones...

I am definately looking at HD600 & 650's if the HE400s dont work for me. Z Reviews on You Tube does reviews on Headphones, but also puts headphones on a Mic'ed up dummy head and records the same music samples. It didn't seem to me to be a very good way of giving someone a feel for how something sounds, but I found you could tell the difference between headphones as far as how "lively" headphones sound and you can actually here the difference between the Fidelio X2's and some of the other mentioned products.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6JGyCW1S9g

I have to try the 400s first, since they arrive tomorrow. I will break them in and if I am interested them at that point, I'll bring in the other ear pads and see where I am at. This guy did a review on the HE400s and says the pads made a HUGE difference in his opinion. That is why I am interested in the HE's...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThkPNbqpiG0

Projects like this don't bother me...I love the challenge and the search! Its all part of the fun!

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 15
If you don't like the HE400S I suggest giving the HE400i a try. (I preferred it over the HE400S)

I am really anxious to try a Planar Mag setup. I had stated earlier...I remember back in the 70's the Heil Air motion Speakers and the Magnaplanar ribbon speakers (Martin Logan also made some) I loved the sound and find it extremely intriguing how popular the technology is in headphones. To me, with an open back, sounds like it would be incredible.....I am just worried about the sound signature and if it will do what I want in a headphone..btw I've heard some good things about the 400i's
Thanks for the input!

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #12 of 15
I got my new Hifiman 400s's last night and all i can say is wow. The look and feel of these headphones are in a league of their own compared to normal headphones. Now mind you ..I've never seen headphones of this level, so even though they are "entry level" to you guys....for a newbie, they blew me away. The size was much bigger than normal phones, but the band on top of your head supported the weight and allowed the plushy, comfortable ear pads to rest easily in position.

I had set my expectations low on the sound because of reviews saying they are pretty flat until you get them broken, but I knew immediately these were different, once again, than anything else I had ever listened to. The muddiness that is prevalent in inexpensive headphones is now gone in the 400s. They are also more open and spacious than my others. I had a ball last night going through all my music tasting everything and I didnt find any genres that I thought they did a bad job on...the song that sticks out in my head was Diana Krall's "The Boy from Impanema".. old song, new take...wow. My wife likes Jorge Strunz so I let her listen to some of his "Neotropical Nocturnes" album and her mouth was hanging open through most of it! She now understands why I was wanting to upgrade.

I realize this is passe to you guys, but for a newbie to get his first test drive on a Planar Magnetic has been enlightening to me. So far I am VERY glad I picked the 400s. I did find them not very loud, so I am running it with my Galaxy s6 edge and my FiiO E11. My headphones I currently own are some Klipsch si4's ear buds, August EP650's (really fun headphones) and my Vmoda M-80's. The V's are an on-ear, which I don't like, the sound is clear, but very restricted in it's openness...The headphones have very small cups and they sound never gets any bigger than that..

I am going to order new ear pads this morning and will most likely mod the backs asap. I will post back after a week or so to break them in and get the new pads in. Thanks again for everyone's advice. I guess I will be like everyone else and will be on here again in a year wanting to upgrade! haha

Terry

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 15
  I got my new Hifiman 400s's last night and all i can say is wow. The look and feel of these headphones are in a league of their own compared to normal headphones. Now mind you ..I've never seen headphones of this level, so even though they are "entry level" to you guys....for a newbie, they blew me away. The size was much bigger than normal phones, but the band on top of your head supported the weight and allowed the plushy, comfortable ear pads to rest easily in position.

I had set my expectations low on the sound because of reviews saying they are pretty flat until you get them broken, but I knew immediately these were different, once again, than anything else I had ever listened to. The muddiness that is prevalent in inexpensive headphones is now gone in the 400s. They are also more open and spacious than my others. I had a ball last night going through all my music tasting everything and I didnt find any genres that I thought they did a bad job on...the song that sticks out in my head was Diana Krall's "The Boy from Impanema".. old song, new take...wow. My wife likes Jorge Strunz so I let her listen to some of his "Neotropical Nocturnes" album and her mouth was hanging open through most of it! She now understands why I was wanting to upgrade.

I realize this is passe to you guys, but for a newbie to get his first test drive on a Planar Magnetic has been enlightening to me. So far I am VERY glad I picked the 400s. I did find them not very loud, so I am running it with my Galaxy s6 edge and my FiiO E11. My headphones I currently own are some Klipsch si4's ear buds, August EP650's (really fun headphones) and my Vmoda M-80's. The V's are an on-ear, which I don't like, the sound is clear, but very restricted in it's openness...The headphones have very small cups and they sound never gets any bigger than that..

I am going to order new ear pads this morning and will most likely mod the backs asap. I will post back after a week or so to break them in and get the new pads in. Thanks again for everyone's advice. I guess I will be like everyone else and will be on here again in a year wanting to upgrade! haha

Terry

I'm happy to hear  the 400s is working well for you man! 

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 15
  I'm happy to hear  the 400s is working well for you man! 

Thank you Mshenay! I was off work today, so they definitely got some burn in...I really had a good time...I liked them enough to order the Focal-A pads...I even popped the grills out for awhile! But I chickened because I didn't like handling them without protection. I will wait until I get my new pads and get them completely burned in. I really thought it opened them up, but the highs seemed to lose some body...I think you need a little back pressure from some kinda of grill, the stock ones are just too much.
I also think they have good bass, but I was running them with my FiiO E11. I tried them straight up om my s6 edge and the were much flatter and no volume, but with the E11 (surely not a top of the line) they really sood good!
I appreciate you taking them time to comment....I know post like mine get lost with everything that goes on on this board, but these HP's are an important step for me into the real realm of performance headphones. I realize now, everything else I was messing with was fruitless...I now have a direction!

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 15
  Thank you Mshenay! I was off work today, so they definitely got some burn in...I really had a good time...I liked them enough to order the Focal-A pads...I even popped the grills out for awhile! But I chickened because I didn't like handling them without protection. I will wait until I get my new pads and get them completely burned in. I really thought it opened them up, but the highs seemed to lose some body...I think you need a little back pressure from some kinda of grill, the stock ones are just too much.
I also think they have good bass, but I was running them with my FiiO E11. I tried them straight up om my s6 edge and the were much flatter and no volume, but with the E11 (surely not a top of the line) they really sood good!
I appreciate you taking them time to comment....I know post like mine get lost with everything that goes on on this board, but these HP's are an important step for me into the real realm of performance headphones. I realize now, everything else I was messing with was fruitless...I now have a direction!

ofc man! I'm happy to hear that your starting out with a Hifiman, I enjoy most of their products. I own a HE 4 an d HM 901 :D if they made a portable amp chances are I'd own it too ^^ 

an I used an E11 my self for a year or so ^^ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back