Beginning the Journey - Listening Experience Wanted!
Dec 23, 2014 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Cerebrius

New Head-Fier
Good Evening Everyone,

I posted a small intro in the introduction thread.  So I will skip that, and move right along to my dilemma.

I've entered a stage in my life where once something's in my life were common place but are no longer and it's time to usher something new in.  The new being audio.  

My original goal was to find a high quality pair of wireless headphones.  That's all I originally wanted.  So I tested a few models and began to realize that wireless might not cut it.  That what I really wanted was an authentic listening experience that was second only to being live with the musician sitting right in front of them.  I wanted to drive my listening experience to hear every instrument, every voice, and every note whether high or low.  I wanted the full experience of hearing.  I want to suck the marrow out of the music, the creativity of the artist, and come out licking my fingers in sound. 

I think it is important here to note some issues that I may have with finding the right headphone or audio experience.  First I live in sunny southern California but not necessarily in a prime location where I have access to a plethora of electronic shops or audio facilities.  I'm about 90 miles outside of L.A. so that is my big issue with finding the right equipment.  From a purely physical issue I have tinnitus which can be excruciating at times and it is constantly on.  Also I have a small popping sound in my left ear.  So I may not be able to physically hear everything perfectly but I want to get as close as possible.

As far as my musical tastes go.  I can from classical to heavy metal.  I grew up with the latter and find myself being pulled toward classical and jazz more strongly now. That doesn't stop me from taking time out to listen to Daft Punk or other electronic music.  I do tend stay away from Pop because listening to Justin Beiber makes want to jump off of a cliff.  He is not musical, he's a gimmick.  Sorry but that's just me being me. 

Anyway, I will be looking over all of the buying guides but like I mentioned earlier I feel that while my headphone obsession is genuine I do also feel that I may not have a full grasp of what I am truly looking for. 

My budget for headphones is about $400.  I think that puts me into a reasonable area with capable models to suit my needs and desires.  I will mostly attach these headphones either to my Macbook pro or iPhone 6+.  This is where I'm sure some will go, that will not do at all.  And please feel free to express what I will need to get the listening experience that I want. 

I just had a wooh moment.  Listening to a sampling of Air on the G String by US Air Force band that came up on my audio player on my PC.  Wow I can hear the instruments but not as clearly as I would like.  I know this has to be better on a really good pair of headphones. 

Anyway please give me some helpful suggestions on what you think might be my best route in order to get my listening journey kick started.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 4
Traditional greeting:

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet...

I think the issue you might discover is that many headphones in the $400 range that will be recommended to you really should have an amplifier more powerful than what your phone or PC can provide. You really might be better off to have $300 headphones and a $100 amp.

As far as listening - make plans to attend the SoCal meet in March - it's a great time, and I guarantee that you will be able to hear more headphones in one day than ANY shop you might find.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/741136/canjam-socal-2015-march-28-29-2015-its-official

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for the reply.  

I have picked out a couple of headphones that I would like to tryout.  I based these on the Useful link threads that I spent a great deal of time reading.  

Here are my current ideas for headphones:

Sennheiser 650

Sennheiser 600

My goal is somehow finding a place in the nearby area that may have one of both of these available to demo.

I'm a bit lost on the amp thing but I really didn't spend a lot of time reading about it.  So that's my fault.  But if anyone wants to give me a cliff note version and maybe some recommendations on an amp to go with either of these headphones please feel free to reply.  

My budget is still in the $400 dollar range.  But I am about to sell my old XBOX 360 so I got a little padding to go a bit higher on the original amount.  

Again thanks in advance for your time.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 4
Traditional greeting:

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet...

I think the issue you might discover is that many headphones in the $400 range that will be recommended to you really should have an amplifier more powerful than what your phone or PC can provide. You really might be better off to have $300 headphones and a $100 amp.

As far as listening - make plans to attend the SoCal meet in March - it's a great time, and I guarantee that you will be able to hear more headphones in one day than ANY shop you might find.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/741136/canjam-socal-2015-march-28-29-2015-its-official

Thanks for the reply.  This is slightly embarrassing my original reply was sent to moderators to review because I used a couple of links... oops.

Are there any recommendations for an amp for either the Sennheiser 600 or 650?  Those are a couple of headphones that I want to demo but I need to find a merchant that actually has them in stock around here.  I based my choices on the great useful links in this forum, and they seem to be fairly popular.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back