Beginner's DAC/Amp Combo
Dec 3, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxAmplitude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deiz, I humbly suggest you take a look at the XM5 from Practical Devices. It meets your requirements of a good USB DAC, Lithium-power, and a reasonable cost. Plus it has more features than ALL of the amps you mentioned in your original post.

Link is here:

Practical Devices XM5

A very interesting product. I'm thinking that once my friend outgrows his Fiio, he'll do one of two things with his portable setup. If he's been using the iPod more than the laptop when out of the house, I'll suggest he goes for a cheap amp-only unit, as in my opinion when you're walking around, driving, etcetera you're not in a position to notice utmost audio quality.

If he uses it more with his laptop, I'll suggest an Amp/DAC combo.

The XM5's 16/48 DAC is a boon for him, as he doesn't have any 24-bit audio.. Thus why go with a middling 24/96 DAC when there are very good 16/48 DACs that are perfectly suitable?

Also, is the XM5 USB chargeable? It's a small boon if it is, not that he'll end up going through the battery without being near a wall outlet if that's not the case.

Thanks for the suggestion. The 30-day satisfaction guarantee is something you don't see often enough.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, is the XM5 USB chargeable? It's a small boon if it is, not that he'll end up going through the battery without being near a wall outlet if that's not the case.

Nope, charging is always done with the AC charger. However, this is not too much of a hassle since the battery life is long (~40 hours for the stock XM5), the recharge time is very short (~1 hour), and if you're really hard core, you can buy a 2nd charger for fairly cheap ($20), and have 1 at home and 1 at work or wherever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 30-day satisfaction guarantee is something you don't see often enough.

Yes, I've oftened wondered why Practical Devices seems to be the only amp manufacturer around which does this. We've had good success with it, with very few folks using it. 'Tis all about keeping the customers happy.

Regards,
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back