Beginner trying to upgrade his gear.
Dec 30, 2016 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rayhe19

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my gear.

I currently have a sennheiser HD 650 playing out of a asus xonar essence stx. The headband recently snapped in two and I figured I might as well get a new pair instead of just getting replacement headbands. 

I was planning to pick up a schiit lyr amplifier and audeze lcd-2s to play out of my sound card, then upgrade to a schiit bifrost later on. 

Alternatively, if there's a cheap fix to the headbands, I wouldn't mind keeping my hd 650s.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Any help would be appreciated. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 4
I have two pieces of audio gear I'll never sell. My LCD2s and my Schiit stack. I have the Bifrost/Asgard 2 combo. For $50 more than the Lyr you can get the Jotunheim and the LCD2s. Just add the Dac module. My brother has one and loves it.

The 650s have really come down in price lately. By the time you change the headband and the pads if they need it you might as well get a new pair.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 4
I recently received the LCD2s and they sound fantastic right from the sound card. I ended up ordering a modi2u and magni2u. I figured I'll go with this for a while and then replace the magni2u with something else later (~3-5 years) on. I was also considering the audio-gd nfb-11 but I would hate to deal with shipping it back if it came with problems.
Once my dac and amp comes, I'll give them a good listen during the 15 day period and see. 

I didn't realize the 650s came down so much in price. I really liked them for easy listening too. I might consider picking up a pair of massdrop 6XXs in the future. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 4
I think the Magni is a little on the brighter side so it should pair nicely with the Audezes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back